Saturday, 13 August 2016

Winter Creek Walk


shady shrubs


ghostly gorse


frost-green


like giraffes


winter in the sunshine


sun makes light
of moss


tracking the light


silver streaks, winter
look


grabbing at the sun


dead leaves
lovely
still


sunny dip


tiny green
floating
world


cold mud,
wet grass,
the smell of creek


drip and rustle,
the squeak
of hidden birds


a creek close by
creeps
and seeps


felled log


caught light


***

Dear Reader,

As winter in this part of the world begins to come to an end, I thought it timely to celebrate its shady beauty; the bleached-out colours and ruddy mulch of grounded leaves. The smell of damp bark and wringing wet moss, drowned grass, muddy puddles and the bite of ice.

However, I guess much of winter's beauty lies in the fact that it ultimately gives way to Spring.

The photos above were taken at the end of June when I spent a week at Tunnel Cottage.

I was there to write, and write I did.

And when I felt like a break from the slog of editing and pushing through to the end of the second draft, I'd go for a walk; a cycle track across the road from the cottage making this easy.

This portion of the Lawrence - Roxburgh track follows a small creek and dips in and out of damp, frosty patches of shade that lie in wait among the drier, sunnier areas.

For me now, writing is going to take a back seat. Ahead are preparation for two poetry readings, and my trip to Berlin in less than a month.

Kay

2 comments:

Katherine Dolan said...

Your photo-caption combinations plunge me right into Time & Place -- I can feel the chill and hear the birdy chit-chat, like a short trip home.

Kay Cooke said...

Katherine - If what I write can do that for you, well, all I can say is mission accomplished! And happily sigh.

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'