Saturday, 18 June 2016

Moons in Junes


protea; represents change and hope


posing tree still in its autumn skirt


we need more rain


cute urban nature sign about seagulls


cute urban nature sign about spring tides


solid, practical sign showing the way to the albatross and penguins and seals - among other attractions



one of my favourite trees and the best thing about it, is that it's all ours



Dear Reader,

The '30 Days Wild' (#30DaysWild) challenge runs until the end of the month. It's a UK challenge that I have butted in on. It requires keeping eyes and *ears out to note nature. Participants are also invited to do various things that require interacting in fun ways with nature. Because going on a picnic doesn't really appeal in the middle of winter (cold grass = cold arse!) I'm opting for the easy road and just keeping my eyes open for the little things I come across in my normal run of the mill activities.

*the quality and degree to which I can hear nature, depending of course upon whether or not I'm wearing a woolly, winter hat. Luckily this year (so far) winter is being kind and I've hardly had to wear a hat on my outings

Apparently the lunar cycle we are in at present, has a full moon at solstice - the first time for seventy years. Seventy years ago my mother was a fifteen year old high-school student, my father a 26-year old flanker for the Orepuki rugby team, and I was seven years away from existence. As a consequence, this is my first full-moon-winter-solstice (if the facts about the full moon are correct, that is. It gets a mite complicated when half the world is experiencing a different kind of solstice to the other half. Maybe it's only half of seventy years ago? I'll stop. I'm only confusing myself).

One thing I am sure about: it's Dunedin's mid-winter carnival tonight - food stalls and a lantern parade, followed by fireworks. My son and his family are taking part in the lantern parade, so we will be there on the sidelines to watch the display - which is always beautiful.

Writing for me at the moment consists of poetry and book reviews. 'Craggan Dhu: (Part One's) ' first draft is slowly becoming a second draft, but still with a ways to go. Like me seventy years ago, maybe - except the novel is far more substantial than just a twinkle in my father's eye!

Really hanging out for that week away in a cottage with no interruptions, appointments, duties or distractions of any kind. Just a grindstone with my nose attached.

Kay

6 comments:

Anne S said...

Your "wild' posts must have inspired me to go and see the fabulous and funny New Zealand film "The Hunt for the Wilderpeople", set in wilds of the New Zealand bush.

Have you seen it?

Kay Cooke said...

Anne : Yes! I went with my 18 year old granddaughter - we loved it!

Avus said...

Fascinating, Kay. I did not know about the full moon/solstice thing (must look into whether it applies here on t'other side of this little world).

The Dunedin Mid Winter Carnival sounds like fun.

Had not heard about The Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Something else i need to look into!

Kay Cooke said...

Avus- Thanks. I think you'd enjoy the movie. It's a lot of fun.

kj said...

it's always amazing to me to think of my summer warmth and your winter chill. i wonder why the master or mistress of the universe create that duality?

it sounds like you are well and busy and appreciative. all good.

love
kj

Kay Cooke said...

KJ - Yes all is good. Feeling thankful. Hope same for you my friend.

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'