Monday, 11 April 2016

today I am impressed by the beauty of hawks and hills (poem)



today I am impressed by the beauty of hawks and hills

Softened by late afternoon,
the hills finally melt.

A hawk turns, its chest feathers
ruddy with light.

Another hawk eating road kill, waits
before taking off; heavy and slow.

Today I am impressed
by the beauty of hawks and hills

and by how long-suffering the ranks
of poplars,

the design of Southland's shelter belts
and how many shades of green run

right up to the laps of hills
so familiar they could be mothers.

And rivers that meet you halfway,
then turn to find their own way home.

Rivers, hawks, hills and trees.
They need no other names.


Kay McKenzie Cooke


Dear Reader,

Yesterday proved too eventful to fit in writing the ninth poem for day eleven. But as is often the case for me, a poem formed in my brain anyway, from impressions as I travelled between there and here.

Kay

2 comments:

Avus said...

I think your hills have the look of a blanket thrown over a bed. No doubt due to having been drenched with volcanic ejecta in ages of yore.

Have you read Helen Macdonald's "H is for Hawk"? Wonderful book.

Kay Cooke said...

Avus - I love that description of our hills, No I haven't read that book yet.

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'