Friday, 8 April 2016

Lost (poem)


South Road, Caversham



lost

Dreams worry my sleep.
Night is a fractured maze.
I grieve for what has been lost
Until found.

Night is a fractured maze
With images of missing streets
Until found.
Left searching until morning

With images of missing streets
I walk among the strange.
Left searching until morning
I am woken by the songs of birds.

I walk among the strange.
Dreams worry my sleep.
I am woken by the songs of birds.
I grieve for what has been lost.

Kay McKenzie Cooke


Dear Reader, 

Yesterday's poem was an attempt to do a series of haiku. The last stanza being the only one that didn't adhere to the 7-5-7 syllabic form I decided to adopt (haiku in English is not always required to stick to that pattern of syllables).

Today's poem is a pantoum - a type of poem that goes by a formal, set pattern of repeated lines. As I followed the scheme, it reminded me of reading a fair isle knitting pattern.

I enjoyed knitting this little piece of fair isle, because I had no idea what it would look like until the end. When I looked at the finished product, I rather liked the way it reminded me of the nightmare-ish dream I had last night. I'd describe the dream as a fretful exercise in unnecessary anxiety. Which is exactly what the poem reflects. 

Kay

3 comments:

Dona Bogart said...

I felt your anxiety. I have been caught in the tense nightmare dream before and that is what it felt like. Great one!

Avus said...

Whatever did you eat/drink close to bedtime to experience that dream, Kay?

Kay Cooke said...

Dona - Thanks hon.
Avus - I can't remember!

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'