Sunday, 3 April 2016

dandelion road (poem)


a photo taken near Ohai, Southland, on the way to attend a family reunion

dandelion road

Drive slower
than the speed limit.

Don't worry, the present will keep up.

Drive like a traveller
who drives into any time
left behind
faster

than than the future
can catch up.

Down a road lined with dandelions as far
as the eye can see mountains
and closed
sky
grey with memories.


 Kay McKenzie Cooke


Dear Reader,

It is NaPoWriMo (which is an American initiative that stands for National Poetry Writing Month ... although because I'm not in America, I think in my case it should be called InNaPoWriMo - International Poetry Writing Month).

Because I really do need to run headlong and dive into that poetry-part of my brain, largely overgrown from lack of care and cultivation, I have decided to take up the challenge.

For a month I will post a poem a day. My own poetry.

Please bear with.

Kay






2 comments:

Rel said...

I agree Kay, poetry,
like the garden untended ,
gets hidden in the weeds of words.

Avus said...

I really enjoyed that poem, Kay - it appeals to my sense of travel. "Slow down, you move too much..."

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'