Thursday, 7 April 2016

autumn sequence (poem)


The wax-eyes are making their presence felt as they draw nearer and nearer to the house, the deeper into autumn this side of our planet travels. 


Poem number 5 for NaPoWriMo ... 

autumn sequence

In the mornings, mist
on the inside windowpanes,
on the car's windscreen.

Look. Feasting blackbirds.
Dark-blood stains on the driveway
from all the squashed plums.

Three o'clock, school's out
and I bring in the washing
before it gets damp.

In this softer sun
I can stay out for longer
and without a hat.

Waxeyes gather
to drink.
A leaf falls.


Kay McKenzie Cooke



Dear Reader,

These days when I sit at my desk to write, my knees start to get cold. An autumn complaint. Thankfully, I have a warm shawl my daughter in law, Kate, gave me which I drape over my lap to keep my legs as warm as toast.

Today I will make pumpkin soup. Another sign of autumn. As is sweet corn.

The echium plant I can see outside the window is slowly giving up the ghost. I notice bees are still visiting, however. Sucking out the very last drop. As the days grow cooler the plant will turn dry and grey, but managing to remain a sculptured feature, spiky and interesting against the skyline. A prolific grower, smaller plants are already at its feet ready for their own glory days in two summer's time. Ah. Such is life; the paradoxical, wonderful, terrifying cycle of life.

Kay

No comments:

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'