Friday, 17 October 2014

The Call of the Crow


crow at a park in Kyoto, Japan. Taken December 29th 2011 - just before we walked to the cake shop to buy a birthday cake for R.

Sometimes I have no idea of what to write on my blog, other times I have a very definite idea.

I knew yesterday what I wanted to post today. Going through my unpublished comments, I read that someone had asked for permission to use a photo of a crow I had posted back in 2012. I was delighted someone a) wanted to use it for artistic purposes and b) actually asked for the right to use it.

Because the photo is one I took in Japan, it got me thinking about all our trips over there. How fortunate I have been to be able to make a trip over there three times now. (In R's case it's been four times).

The trips have been in different seasons. R's trip was in Spring, so he was able to experience some of Kyoto's celebrations of the blossom season. (That experience is now down on my dream-list).

The photo I took of the crow was taken in winter. So far, my favourite season in Japan.

The crows' haunting calls and sudden silent approaches, punctuated every outing. In Kanizawa as we walked through the gardens at dusk (just before closing time) a whole flock of them landed on a piece of ground, their coal-black outlines accentuated by the snow's smooth whiteness. Our granddaughter attempted to chase them off, her pink coat an eye-catching contrast against the black crows and white snow.

Far from being freaked out, I find crows both fascinating and compelling. Maybe that's because we haven't got them here in New Zealand. My daughter-in-law said that over in Japan crows are kind of seen as annoying scavengers. Which is ironic, because when she came over to New Zealand she loved our seagulls, yet some of us over here kind of think of seagull as annoying scavengers.

4 comments:

Fireblossom said...

I love crows, and I'm from Michigan USA. They are my totem animal, if you're into such stuff. They are intelligent and can even use available objects as tools in order to get food. They can even recognize individual people! Plus, they just look cool. I love crows!

Kay Cooke said...

Thanks for dropping by Fireblossom. Crows are very cool. I didn't know they had face-recognition ability. Amazing indeed.

A said...

Such a beautiful photo… not at all surprised someone asked to use it (and yes, how nice of them to ask!)

Kay Cooke said...

A - yes I agree, nice of them to ask. Politeness and consideration go a long way these days. :)

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'