Tuesday, 22 October 2013

Mullet Beach & Garden Beach; Western Southland


My sister, auntie (and her  friend Gladys) and I were southward-bound, heading for the town where we had all (apart from our aunty's friend) been raised.
However, on the way we couldn't go past without visiting the unique Cosy Nook; my sister Lynley swung a left.



The photo below doesn't show how high the waves seemed in realtion the where we were stationed, looking out from solid ground. We found it rather freaky looking out at eye-level, heaving waves appearing hellbent on throwing their weight at the shore. 
It seemed that the only protection between the sea and the land, was a scattered, faithful band of granite rocks worn smooth from centuries of guarding the shore from the invading breakers..




The houses you see below, iconic to this bay, appear peaceful, the owners unconcerned about the encroach of wild seas. They are obviously on the right side of the bluff. Even so, I don't think I would sleep easy at night living this close to a wild sea.

 
There was another bay I wanted to visit. One I remembered visiting (just the once) as a child. I remembered the grass growing right up to the beach. I found out from my aunty and mother that the beach I remembered was probably Garden Beach. Well named, I think.

Aunty Lorna knew the way and after travelling long gravel roads through the lush green paddocks of dairy-farming country (and seemingly nowhere near the coast) we were suddenly there.

 When we pulled in, whitebaiters with nets out at the mouth of a small creek running into the sea, looked at us suspiciously - like all *whitebaiters, they were no doubt feeling protective of 'their patch'. 

*If you don't know what whitebaiters are, go HERE which takes you to a TeAra (NZ Encycolpedia) article.

Next time - I will be posting about our next stop; our turangawaewae 

'Tūrangawaewae is one of the most well-known and powerful Māori concepts. Literally tūranga (standing place), waewae (feet), it is often translated as ‘a place to stand’. Tūrangawaewae are places where we feel especially empowered and connected. They are our foundation, our place in the world, our home'. ( a descriotion from Te Ara)

2 comments:

paris parfait said...

So much beauty! Hope I get to see this for myself one day.

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

I hope you do too, Tara!

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'