Saturday, 25 May 2013

Freeze-Mode


Today at the early learning centre where I work, I took some photos of the outside area while the children were inside having their lunch.


The inanimate plastic dinosaurs in the blue tray, reminded me of scenes from the movie 'Toy Story' where toys are portrayed as going into freeze-mode whenever humans are present.


Sometimes back at home after work, images of the children flash into my mind,


but more often than not when I try to remember what they said that I thought was funny at the time, I find I can't. Like water through my fingers, the astonishment or juxtaposition has disappeared.


For some reason I do remember S. (who has an unusually active imagination even for a four-year old) one day saying to me, "I'm a giraffe and I don't like ice cream".


Sometimes I'll recall how a child that day handed me a scrappy piece of paper with a hastily-drawn, squashed blue circle, saying, "This is for you" and how I didn't keep it, but instead when they weren't looking, threw it in the rubbish bin.


Every day you can count on there having been happiness, excitement and tears and rage ....


... falls, scraps and unexpected triumphs.


The upside-down smile of a Mr Happy ball at rest ...


... the tray that waits to be filled with gloop ...


... the coloured-pencils that do not move ...


... the basking plastic gecko ...


... cds strung up to catch the light; all symbolise the silent music of a playground momentarily emptied of children and their voices.

4 comments:

Katherine Dolan said...

Beautiful...like a piece of music.

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

Katherine - Thank you - the silence of no children in a playground is always a little freaky.

Theanne said...

you string your words together so beautifully!

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

Theanne - Thank you, kind of you to say so.

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'