Friday, 12 April 2013

Light & Shadow


I find that days have themes. Unsought. Today's, sadly, seems to have been the unkindness of humankind ... yet in between the dark stuff that has come my way; reading matter and news highlighting the cruelty of humankind; I have also been shown snippets of light. Of goodness. Kindness.

My son's love and respect for his daughter.

A brand-new father's love for his baby son.

A friend's delight and excitement.

A husband's gentleness.



Maybe it has been enough to counter the sadness I feel today about humankind's unkindness to humankind ...

I appreciate the reality check. Life is not all double-rainbows. Equal rights is not a reality. We are not there yet.

Will we ever get there?



I just have to keep remembering the light I have experienced today ...


My son's love and respect for his daughter.

A brand-new father's love for his baby son.

A friend's delight and excitement.

A husband's gentleness.




Museum Reserve today, yesterday

I sat here summer '72
in the sun. Just another student
full of the present
and the future no farther away than the line of shadow
cast by trees in summer. If I remember rightly
there was a boy
five arm-lengths away
not looking my way but the chance
he could at any time, as tantalising
as the sun I could feel warm on my legs.
I was wearing a short blue dress
and whatever I was saying
to my friends
was not
what I was really thinking.

Kay McKenzie Cooke

5 comments:

Theanne said...

I can still remember, with amazing clarity, as a young woman having just given birth to a son, that there were two things I would like to see before I died: world peace and no more garbage, litter, trash up and down the streets. Now in the early winter of my life peace anywhere seems ellusive and as the population has increased so has the garbage, litter, trash up and down the streets. I find, with age, that I too find my joy in the smaller wonders of life, my grandchildren, Baron lying beside me asleep, the rain beating down on my patio, learning to do something new!

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

Theanne - Thanks - what a lovely comment. Yes, the small and precious moments / events are what gives us strength and hope.

Steph Josh said...

Very nice, thanks for sharing.
@ rental mobil jakarta

Katherine Dolan said...

That's your strength, Kay: you always find the light.

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

Katherine - Thank you. What a lovely thing to say.

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'