Thursday, 7 February 2013

Ngaio Trees in a Plastic Park


Albion Cricket Ground , Musselburgh, Dunedin

Why do doctors call it 'bloods' - we only have one blood don't we? Many veins and arteries, sure, but just the one river of blood coursing through them? Am I right or am I right? (as Michael Gambon in 'The Singing Detective' would say).

Anyway, my doctor suggested I 'get my bloods done' the other day, so today I toddled off to do that.

On the way back home I took a couple of snaps. This is the Methodist Church on Queens Drive, St Kilda.

What an eysore!

Muselburgh's water treatment station - where they used to take Dunedin's temperature for the day, a particularly breezy spot so needless to say it was generally not indicative of the true temperature.

I remember in the early-90's, my sons playing here while I sat reading under the ngaio trees, set off as they were then by a smooth and nicely-kept space of green. The trees were a real feature.  Now they are knee-deep in black plastic;  swamped by peculiar black plastic-wrapped packages piled into a ugly heaps. Come on guys! Not cool.

 I hope 'they' - whoever 'they' are - do whatever 'they' are going to do with the black plastic soon,  so that the ngaio trees can once more feature as they deserve to.

2 comments:

Avus said...

Spoiled my memories of NZ, Kay!
Your lovely country deserves to be better cared for.

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

You're right Avus - hope someone is taking note.

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'