Monday, 11 February 2013

Another Year of the Snake


 I was born in the year of the Snake.  If I look at my life (as the Chinese calendar suggests) as being lived in a twelve-year pattern, or cycle; I would classify it as follows:

1953 - 1964 twelve years of wonder ...
1965 - 1977 twelve years of tumultuous change - some bad, some good ...
1978 - 1989 twelve years of nurture ...
1990 - 2000 twelve years of challenge (ending up a little burnt out) ...
2001 - 2012 twelve years of consolidation ...

What will the next twelve years bring, I wonder? 


(Copyright alert! This is a photo of the snake logo OUSA and ODT are using for Otago University's Orientation Week promotion ...)

In my life, twelve years ago the nest was emptying; now it is well and truly emptied.


 ...  grapes in our glasshouse ...

In '01, twelve years ago, I'd been reunited with my daughter (who had been adopted out as a baby) for five years. Now our relationship is nearly eighteen years strong and she and her partner and three children, have become well and truly part of our family.


 ... runner beans, running ...

Twelve years ago I had one granddaughter; now I have three granddaughters and two grandsons. Twelve years ago I didn't know the joy and delight of having daughters-in-law. Now I have three wonderful and special women in my life.

Twelve years ago my mother was 70 years old and playing bowls . Now she is over 80 and no longer playing bowls. 

... cucumber ready to go between two slices of bread ...

 Twelve years ago I was about to have my first book of poetry published. I published my second book of poetry five years later and a third poetry book is ready to go.


... rhubarb ready for stewing (& Rhubarb Crumble) ...

Twelve years ago, Chrissie, my penfriend of (at that stage) 35 years, came over for her first visit to New Zealand. It was the second time we had met 'off the page' (the first time was in the '70's when Robert and I were on a working holiday in the UK). Since then she has made one trip back to NZ with her husband. This year we are planning to meet up  (in Paris!) to celebrate our birthdays together. (We have now been (pen)pals for 48 years).

Twelve years ago, travel was a pipe dream. Now,  because of our sons living overseas, we have made two trips to Japan and we're planning another overseas trip this year. Twelve years ago I didn't know a thing about Japan, now because of our son & family living there, it is my 2nd-most favourite country in the world. 


... come on toms - ripen! ...

Twelve years ago I didn't have my beloved Canon Powershot S3 that my sister kindly gave me when she upgraded.  I didn't have a mobile or laptop, I wasn't blogging, wasn't on Facebook or tweeting. I wrote a lot more letters and I used pen and paper to write. Now I use a laptop to write. (I love my 'Wee Eee PC ' notebook).

Twelve years ago I wasn't doing much in the way of gardening. Lately I have started to spend more and more time in the garden. Maybe the next twelve years will be down to earth years; years spent regarding nature. I'd like to think so.

... in 12 years our apple tree has grown substantially ...

... this morning I discovered these passionfruit in our garden. Is this symbolic? I'd like to think so ...

6 comments:

yujinxiang said...

Happy another new year!

Avus said...

12 years ago we moved here - 12 years hence I wonder if I will still be around.
One day you wake and find that age has crept up unawares!

Sharon Lovejoy said...

Your "Down-to-Earth" years will be your best.

I loved going on this journey with you.

Aren't grandchildren one of the most magical parts of life? I am glad that they come near the end so that we can be children-at-heart again.

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

Avus - I am beginning to feel that now ... best idea is to make the most of each day - cliche or not, it's very true & wise.

Sharon - Thanks SO much for dropping by & leaving your lovely comments. :)

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

yujinxiang - Thank you and to you as well my friend.

Anne S said...

Kay, that must mean you turn the big 60 this year. I'm here to say it isn't so bad, ifn fact it's pretty restful.

Anyway I hope the next twelve years for you are the best yet.

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'