Friday, 7 September 2012

Remainders and Reminders


What remains of an old gas standard pole on Elliot Street, Andersons Bay, Dunedin. A bare, green stalk without its flower-shaped lamp.

The top part (no doubt rusted and dangerous) has been cut away leaving the rest as a reminder of bygone days when the streets of Dunedin were lit by more decorative gas lamps.

The late Shona McFalrlane's book of sketches of Dunedin buildings and architectural features, 'Portraits of a City', has a sketch of one of these ornate poles, intact, on Anzac Avenue.The book dates back to the 70's, so I wonder if the lamp standard is still there? (I must look for it next time I am in that part of town).

They look as if they were much easier on the eye than the ugly concrete power poles are. (Although, thankfully, I guess the power poles are also gradually being replaced by underground cables).

The longer I live, the more I realise that things never remain the same. Nothing lasts. Change and eventual annihilation, is built into the very fabric of our lives, as well as being part and parcel of this planet we spin around on.



Maybe that's why I can't keep my eyes off the tulips we are lucky enough to have blooming in pots at the top of our steps ... they remind me of the cycle of the seasons and of life; its tenacity, hope, promise and sheer bravado despite the finite nature of our world, of our existence. I have a fondness for natural things like flowers, because they are pure - completely innocent, completely blameless.

4 comments:

Penelope said...

I guess it's to do with the age we've reached, but certainly, the mutability and temporary nature of all things is increasingly apparent. Thanks for your gas pole, tulips and timely reflections.

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

Pen - Thank you for dropping by and sharing the angst! (Glad angst).

Camille Offenbach said...

Beautiful poppies!

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

Camille - Thanks! Great to see your comment here. :)

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'