Wednesday, 15 August 2012

Daffin' About


... this photo was taken before the recent rain ... the first daffodil to make its appearance in our garden ...

Under a cloud of rain we are. Being mizzled on. For days and days now. And the daffs are bowing under the pressure of many, many drops, to lie downcast on rain-sodden earth.

I've rescued  15 of them, brought them indoors where they gratefully relax and lift cheerful countenances upon our kitchen, to brighten my time incarcerated here in the dry, indoors.

Daffodils should be more robust, especially as Spring can be such a rough season. These ones I've rescued have very long stems. Perhaps they've been genetically modified to look beautiful in vases, but this puts them at a disadvantage for gardens in late winter. They are early bloomers as well, so are having to weather the last of winter's grabby snatches of rain and wind.

For me, daffodil-scent brings back the childhood memory of one cool, breezy, sunny day day when two older girls (I have no idea who they were now) took me and my sister daffodil picking in the paddocks around our home. Swathes of tough, yellow daffodils blazoned the countryside, ready for the picking. (I say tough because to my mind daffodils growing in the wild are tougher and hardier than the hot-house varieties grown from the bulbs bought from our garden shops these days ... I may be wrong, but I don't think so). My sister and I came clomping back home in gumboots and laden with bunches of magical , yellow daffodils. This is a treasured memory that I can bring back the instant I put my nose to a daffodil.


On a recent visit to the Gardens with our Dunedin grandchildren, I spotted these flowers - some sort of violet?  Violets remind me of my Nana whose favourite colour was lavender and who often smelt of Yardley's April Violets perfume. 


... harbour in winter ...


... clipped maze ...


... late-winter-green ...

This is the sight that greeted us one morning - all the windows across  our conservatory were splattered by bird dung. How this was achieved we could only surmise. Perhaps it was  skittery flock of seagulls. Isn't a bird pooping on you meant to be lucky? Does that include houses? Maybe I should've bought a Lotto ticket ...

2 comments:

A said...

It's Spring over there isn't? Spring is a lovely season :-)
It's the end of Summer here, Fall is my favorite season so I am pretty excited.

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

Hi! Agnes ... I prefer Autumn to Spring too. Will be officially Spring in September ... but there are lambs and daffodils and blossom etc (birds nesting) so what do we know? The wintry weather's growling at us, so we are really still waiting for the warm spring days. :)

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'