Sunday, 15 July 2012

Up North



After visiting the museum in Palmerston North and reading a little bit of the history of the Maori settlement in this area, I tried to overlay an image of how the place might have looked long ago. Muddy and great for eeling. Full of the noise of birds. Huia. Piwakawaka. Korero.


 I looked up at Palmerston's unfettered sky-scape and reminded myself how much we can count on the sky to remain the same (humankind's impact notwithstanding) through time and all its changes.


The Square, Palmerston North


... temporary ice skating rink set up for the winter.

My mother doesn't have internet or a coffee percolater, so forays into town became necessary for good coffee & for the wifi to keep in touch with family and emails. 



'Tomato' with its kiwiana 1970's kitsch décor and theme, has become our favourite place for coffee while we were in Palmy.


Orange accents ... poppies outside the art gallery and museum & sunset out of Mum's kitchen window



... and blues ...



Bruce McKenzie's -  a fantastic book shop




... couldn't resist this - a sheep outside a Japanese Restaurant ... just for the family in Japan.


... and yet another trendy cafe - more upmarket this one ...


...  a car advertising a lawn-mowing service ....


We spent a week with Mum who's getting on now - as she would say herself - being 81 (and a half) years old. She kept getting bright ideas over her first cup of tea in bed in the morning. These ideas usually involved little jobs she decided needed doing. A lot of requests started with the words - "Tell you what you could do for me" 


... photo opp outside Mum's house before we head for the airport. 

It was a week of dusting, cleaning, tidying, clearing (the whole garage into a skip) gardening, shopping and dropping books off (or picking them up) at the library. Etc. We were happy to do it, we only get the chance to see her once or twice a year.


Yesterday we arrived back home, in Dunedin - for a holiday!

7 comments:

Mike Crowl said...

Well, Kay, you've almost convinced me that P North has something to offer! Great photos...

jtwebster books said...

I enjoyed the photos as I've never been to Palmerston North. That book shop looks great!

kj said...

i like everything: the bookstore, tomatoes, the bike stands and crosswalks. classy cozy it looks to me.

your Mother did the right thing of course organizing what she needed done. good for you. is she there by herself, kay? my Mom did darn well until she hit 85. around then, i think, needs are more daily.

nice to see you here, kay.

xoxo
kj

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

Mike - Almost convinced - oh dear, I failed then. :)

Sue - Thanks - hope you get to visit one day.

Karen - Yes she's there by herself. But my sis & bro live an hour and a half away. Wish she lived closer, but she cannot be prised. (But she's prized!)

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

Mike - Almost convinced - oh dear, I failed then. :)

Sue - Thanks - hope you get to visit one day.

Karen - Yes she's there by herself. But my sis & bro live an hour and a half away. Wish she lived closer, but she cannot be prised. (But she's prized!)

Tim Jones said...

I admire your skill with a camera almost as much as your skill with words!

I have very much enjoyed my few visits to Palmerston North, and as you know I'll be there again next month - but I always arrive at night and leave first thing the next morning, and never get a good look at the place in daylight - so your photos are adding the daylight for me!

Much more of this and I will finally forgive Palmerston North for attempting to buy the name "Palmerston" off the South Island Palmerston a decade or so ago...

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

Tim - Why thank you! :) I had forgotten that Palmerston name debacle ... Hope you get to see Palmerston North in daylight sometime soon! Good luck with your reading. I know from previously experiencing your readings, the audience is in for a treat.

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'