Thursday, 28 June 2012

Ouch!



WARNING NOTE: Not sure that any MEN reading this will be able to identify. Maybe this is just for the gals - guys are welcome to read on, but don't blame me if you wish you hadn't ...

It's a poem about what it's like to have a MAMMOGRAM.

(A fellow-tweeter asked to see it after I told her I'd written a poem on this subject.)

Here 'tis Ali:


'hit me with your best shot'

Seeing as it’s my first scan she’s sympathetic,
to a degree, but has a job to do, criteria
to meet, good, clear shots are what's required
and they do not want to miss
even a shadow. She helps me
to stand, just so, to tilt my shoulder

and rest my right breast on the glass.
I think how much it looks like a fish
on a plate. The vice is applied 
to just over the bearable-pain threshold.
She says she doesn’t really enjoy inflicting
so much pain; “Did you take a Panadol? ”

I told her I hadn't. After two shots
I think it’s over - silly me. “Two more”, 
she says brightly,  "Side-view this time”. 
She suggests a cold cloth to relieve discomfort.
I remember my granny, the one
who carried a child with a broken arm

fifteen miles to the nearest doctor
and turn the offer down. Pioneer stock
has a lot to answer for. I look down. No, 
I decide, not a fish a butterfly, in a case,
wings opened out and pressed
forever at screaming point.

Kay McKenzie Cooke


4 comments:

jtwebster books said...

Yes, ouch! A great poem. I really like the butterfly in a case analogy - it really works.

kj said...

beautiful, kay.

and ouch indeed....

love
kj

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

Thanks Sue.

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

It's not pleasant KJ.

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'