Friday, 18 May 2012

The Patience of Trees


 autumn shades in our trees

- the deeper orange (russet) tree in the background, is a rare deciduous NZ native. Most NZ trees aren't deciduous. A friend did tell us what it was called, but I have forgotten now.

Different words for the shade of orange: burnt orange, russet, amber (but not umber, which is a shade of brown), tangerine, brass, copper .... we are certainly seeing our share of autumn shades just now. 


wild roadside flowers John Wilson Drive, St Kilda, Dunedin




 Yesterday when I picked my grandson up from kindy, I asked him what he wanted for lunch. Without missing a beat, he said, "Sandwiches and grapes".

We were waiting for a Sesame Street video to load and H gave a huge sigh, "I have to be patient lots of times," he said. Yes, I thought, you're learning what life is all about.

Later we went to the Garden where I bought him a Trumpet ice-cream and took as much delight as he did when he discovered there was chocolate!!!! tucked into the bottom of the cone.


this photo was taken earlier in autumn, in Arrowtown at Easter, and shows the first signs of the change in colour of the trees on the hillside above the Arrow River

Yesterday I was impressed by the enormous trees in the Botanical Gardens. I always am impressed, but this time I took a slower, deeper look at them. They appeared like giant guardians, enormous and comforting. I sensed their patience, their science and the confidence they exuded; the faith in their own existence.

On our way back to the car, both H and I saw a 'leaf-fall' from a tree across the road. For a good half minute, golden leaves fell like snow from a tree being shaken by the breeze.


Art deco. jug on windowsill (another Easter photo - taken in my in-laws' home).

***

Also, yesterday, Chris and Jenny arrived back here (at Base Camp) before they take off again for warmer climes. While they are here, we will enjoy their company - the chats, the meals, the sparking of ideas, of plans & schemes, then when they're gone, I'll pick up my knitting and hunker down. But not too far down - I will continue to write the stories of my life and there are friends and family members to share meals with; still the warm winter days to look forward to; the picnics to be had under bare trees.


taken on Mother's Day, at the top of John Wilson Drive, overlooking a cliff-edge at Chisholm Park Golf Course (Robert's 'local') and Tomahawk Beach 

6 comments:

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

I <3 you!

A said...

For some reason the pictures are not loading on my screen :-( I so want to see them! Will check back later :-)

A said...

OK the pictures loaded this time, they are beautiful!!!

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

Joyce - Awww ... thanks :) Back at ya!

Agnes - Whew! So glad; it'd be like not being able to open a present I gave you! Glad you liked them.

fourdeeroak said...

Hi Kay, It's been a while since I've checked in here (been busy, busy!). As always your words and pictures bring a smile. All the spring flowers are done blooming here, though I still have some empty garden beds to plant. Pretty much green all around until it's fall for us. I don't want to rush it, certainly, so it is a pleasure to experience it on your side of the world through your photographs.

--Anne Camille (who still hasn't figured out how to get her name to show up instead of her blog's name)

Avus said...

That view from the top of John Wilson .....remember being there once when we visited NZ! Serendipity!

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'