Sunday, 13 May 2012

Mother's Day




Mum and me ...


Mum with her Mum


Mum with great-granddaughter Brittany


Mum with her father after they both won a family tennis comp.


Mum in her 50's

Mum at her 80th birthday party 2010


Mum 2011

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY MUM

Family Tree
(for my mother)
Your hair is no longer red
but is as much a flag as it ever was,
easy to spot among the grey bedstead
-headstones in the cemetery we visit, as you move
your head is as bright as the white chest feathers
of a wading bird.

As always in your eyes that quick spark
when you answer back or give cheek.
You can still make an entrance,
still have a lot left yet to say
about all those years (eighty-odd) tightly gathered.
Sometimes I remember to ask the right questions.

8 comments:

A said...

What a lovely post Kay. Happy Mother's Day :-)

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

Thanks Agnes. :) xx

yujinxiang said...

Happy Mother&s Day, Kay!

jtwebster books said...

A lovely poem and so nice to have all those photos.

Lydia said...

What a very special Mother's Day poem. I especially love the part about remembering to ask the right questions. I wish I had asked more.

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

Yujinxiang - Thank you. :)

Sue - Thanks. Hope you had a nice Mothers Day.

Lydia - Yes I have to keep reminding myself to do this.

Katherine Dolan said...

Wonderful poem and photographs! Thanks Kay.

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

Katherine - Thank you for reading :)

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'