Sunday, 8 April 2012

Trick of the Light




For the final part of my recollections of our holiday in January of this year, I want to describe the food / meals we ate in Thailand and in Japan. However, right now it's hard for me to write cheerfully of our happy holiday. The sad news we received recently is still affecting me. Soon the memories of our holiday will merrily flow again I'm sure, but right now my inclination is to stop, take stock and consider  the present.



Today is Easter Saturday and we are at a golf course in Queenstown. Robert is playing while I sit in the car and read, snooze and write - every so often taking a stroll to the clubrooms for a coffee.



The weather is perfect. No wind and not a cloud in the sky. Here at the golf course, the silent lake can be seen through the trees. Despite its remote blue, its heft and unsettling depth feel very close.



A trick of the late-afternoon light as it strikes the peaks, flattens the Remarkables mountain range back against the sky where it lies, brown and grey, gasping for breath and snow.



The same light playing on the mountains on the other side of the lake (Cecil Peak and Walter Peak) gives them the hides of rhinos.



Robert has just trudged past with his golfing buddies-for-the-day (not being his local club as such, they are guys he doesn't know). His grin is rueful and he puts two fingers to his head as if to say, “Shoot me now”. I don't think he's having a good round.



I'm reading Fleur Adcock's collected poems. She's a master. I have also been thankful for the chance to at long last read my friend Joyce Ellen Davis' poetry collection, 'Pepek the Assassin'. Her work is masterful too; she surrenders poetry that is strong, fascinating, vital and trustworthy. Both poets give me confidence to relax as I read, thoroughly absorbing the journeys they take me on. After each poem, I feel glad, satisfied, often astonished.


It's getting on into the afternoon now, every so often, a jet roars off from the airport. Helicopters rattle overhead. 


A wood pigeon (kereru) crashes into the pines, its wings whipping the air as it flies over.

The day is entering a new phase; late-afternoon, early-evening. I am looking around me, listening to golf shoes getting bashed together to loosen the grass and dirt from between spikes, the sound echoing off the hills; to players talking about the rounds they have just played and coming to some agreement about scores as they fill in their cards; to the sound of stones popping and crunching under the tyres of cars as they slowly make their exit from the car park. I hear chortles and creaks from birds as they settle into the trees. 



The warmth of the autumn sun is fading, the shadows are filling in the light and a coolness is starting to fall over the grass and paths. It is time to go.

10 comments:

kj said...

so very beautiful, kay. you paint with your words and your camera.

the golfers would no doubt enjoy your descriptions of their day.

much love
kj

A said...

Amazing photos Kay, so so so beautiful.

Catherine said...

Sorry to hear that you have had sad news - but I did enjoy your lovely account of the day.

jtwebster books said...

Beautiful shots of Queenstown - haven't we been blessed with wonderful weather.
Sorry to hear you have had sad news.

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

kj - Thanks Karen. I know one golfer anyway who may!

Agnes - Thanks. It's a beautiful place.

Catherine - Thanks, I feel blessed to be able to relax and think in such a lovely setting.

Sue - The weather has been amazing and I've enjoyed every minute - as has everyone else I suspect after our not-so-good summer.

McDinzie said...

nice meandering through your mind :-)

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

McD - Thanks! It's an odd mind ... according to some. ;)

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Thank you for the shout out!!! (So sorry also to hear of your sad news.)

I do love your photos and commentary--what a wonderful world we live in, that can produce both spring and autumn at the same time! It never ceases to amaze me.

I treasure our friendship, and I'm happy to know you like Pepek!

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Thank you for the shout out!!! (So sorry also to hear of your sad news.)

I do love your photos and commentary--what a wonderful world we live in, that can produce both spring and autumn at the same time! It never ceases to amaze me.

I treasure our friendship, and I'm happy to know you like Pepek!

Avus said...

A lovely meditation on an autumn in Queenstown afternoon, Kay

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'