Saturday, 1 October 2011

Weeding


Spent most of the day in the garden weeding.



Quote from Wikipedia on the subject of weeds: 'Perhaps the greatest defense of weeds is contained in the last stanza of Gerard Manley Hopkins' poem Inversnaid:
"What would the world be, once bereft,
of wet and wildness? Let them be left.
O let them be left; wildness and wet;
Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet."


In my neck of the wilderness, the weeds are not left to be.



Because of their prolific nature, in some people's books, Forget-me nots are weeds. I let them go for it. I enjoy their brand of delicate cheerfulness.

From Wikipedia again.: 'In his 1947 long poem 'Notes Toward a Supreme Fiction,' Wallace Stevens mentions the forget-me-not, using its scientific Greek-derived name:
...It observes the effortless weather turning blue
And sees the myosotis on its bush." '
''In 15th-century Germany, it was supposed that the wearers of the flower would not be forgotten by their lovers'. (Wikipedia).




As Christopher Lloyd wrote in The Well-Tempered Garden
"Many gardeners will agree that hand-weeding is not the terrible drudgery that it is often made out to be. Some people find in it a kind of soothing monotony. It leaves their minds free to develop the plot for their next novel or to perfect the brilliant repartee with which they should have encountered a relative's latest example of unreasonableness."
This was not my experience as I clambered about our steep bank. Thinking and reflecting was a luxury in which I couldn't indulge, there was far too much hard labour involved in today's weeding - toil that was accompanied, I noticed, by rather a lot of old person sound effects. 


I did feel a grudging admiration for the capacity weeds have to spread. Unlike a lot of flowers and precious plants, they need no coaxing to grow. 

5 comments:

yujinxiang said...

Spring has come.

Beautiful flowers!

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

Thank you Yujinxiang! :)

Catherine said...

We have forget-me-nots in our garden too - I cut them back or they would take over the lawns, but don't remove them entirely as I agree that they are too pretty for that.

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

Sometimes I a in a more ruthless mood and cut back more than thye deserve! (Later their sticky seed-heads are also a nuisance ...) But yes, very pretty flowers.

fourdeeroak said...

Beautiful pics. Nice to see Spring, as it heads into Fall where I live. Love the quoted lines from Hopkins. I have been reminded of him so many times recently. I think I must acquire a book of his poetry soon! :-) I am unfamiliar with the poem you quote, but the lines are lovely.

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'