Wednesday, 19 October 2011

A Poem




3rd term, 1970

How I stalled,
hiding inside my head,
liking it there, cushioned.
Being in the world
as it was unfolding,
with the sun shining neat

on to footpaths, the rain's
dribble on to hedges
and patient mail-boxes,
the smell of cooped-up budgies,
the deep, warm bath
nine o'clock at night,

the creak of the passage;
all things that cluster
to form a town; was bearable
if the edges were woolly
with fabrications. Rhododendrons
and marigolds.

The high school's
highly-polished corridors,
shadowed bike-sheds,
lagged pipes in the pre-fabs.
The sound of clocks, of wooden walls
relaxing behind wallpaper.

The smell of a cold fireplace.
Oh and let's not forget
the heartbreak,
the heartbreak
of newly-mown grass,
of any and every awful beauty.

Yes, and that ache
of double-hung windows,
of looking out at a world where hills
meet sky; the outside world,
its whole big, blue bluster,
its yodel and strut.

Kay McKenzie Cooke


11 comments:

Dana said...

Oh, this is great. I am adding it to my "worth reading" list on my site. So worth reading.

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

Dana - Thank you. Makes me feel real chuffed & honoured. :)

BarbaraS said...

That's exactly how I feel about new-mown grass; it's almost like a pain when I smell it for the first time each year - a nice pain. Weird, isn't it?

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

Barbara - Thank you. I'm glad you are with me with the smell of newly mown grass. :)

Dona Bogart said...

The heartbreak. The smell of new-mown grass doesn't take me to a specific memory, but a memory/ feeling. It smells of a time I was innocent and happy. I enjoyed this poem very much. The images were very real in my minds eye as I read. Thank you.

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

Dona - Thank you. It is written from / about a time when I was young and fearful ,I guess, rather than happy - but I am glad it reminds you of when you were happy!

Lydia said...

Kay, this is one of my favorite poems everever. I was transfixed while reading and transformed afterward. Every line=perfection!

Cam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
fourdeeroak said...

Lovely! Thank you.

fourdeeroak said...

Lovely! Thank you.

Emma Lambert said...

Your poem is so beautiful and is writing with perfection, congratulations!!!

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'