Thursday, 27 October 2011

Inlet Lets Me In


The other day I went for a walk to one of my favourite places to walk around our neighbourhood ... the Andersons Bay inlet.


I appreciated the bright mossy greens against the dark grey basalt walls and steps.


The limestone of old shells embedded ino the rocks also caught my eye.


The ice plant was looking particularly 'pretty in pink' showing off its new spring flowers.


This old seed-head has weathered the winter to shine like a dead star among the new green.


The old wall that holds the Bayfield Park up and away from the inlet's encroach, has a certain ramshackle, rough beauty.


As I wandered along the edges of the inlet a low tide, taking the photos and sitting a while on the old steps and huge slabs of concrete, seemingly flung there by some bored ogre, I could hear the distress of the local residents - this pair of paradise ducks (the female is the one with the white neck).
She would call to him, two high honks of warning (that I was approaching) and they would swim farther away, keeping a certain distance between them and myself. He would answer with one, low, disinterested 'whatever' honk, and continue to feed, hardly ever lifting his head at all. He seemed bored and under-whelmed by all her female fuss. He obviously felt there were more more urgent matters to attend to; an empty gizzard to fill for example.

6 comments:

yujinxiang said...

I like this article and these pictures which are full of poetic sentiment. :)

Theanne and Baron said...

what a beautiful place you live...the photos are breathtaking...the ice plant is one of my favorite plants

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

yujinxiang - Thank you. We are lucky to live close to this inlet.

Theanne - I enjoy walking to the inlet; it's especially interesting at low tide.

jtwebster books said...

Great photos Kay. I like the inlet too, although I don't get there very often. As kids my brothers and I used to go crabbing there - lots of memories.

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

Sue - Yes our boys have crabb-y memories of the inlet. And now my 13 year-old granddaughter does as well!(from times spent at our place).

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

I'm SO glad you are my friend. Wonderful pictures taken with a poet's eye!

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'