Saturday, 27 August 2011

South Sea Spring


Spring has arrived in the Southern Hemisphere.


Today a friend and I visited the South Seas ...


... art gallery, that is. Out at Brighton, a small coastal suburb just out of Dunedin.


We were there to be part of a promotional advertisement for the gallery, filmed by local television. Janet (owner of the gallery) has a dream / vision for the gallery and garden space to be used for arts events.



Dancing, poetry, painting, pottery, sculpture, music ... food and coffee ...



The nearness of the sea providing the sound of breaking surf.


Mosaics ... broken things used to form something new.


Back home another spring announcement; outside my writing-room window, young kowhai blossom.



... a bellbird, the icing on the cake.

4 comments:

Agnes said...

Wow. Your life seems like a fairy tale :-)

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

Agnes - Believe me, most of the time it aint! (But still a pretty good one ... :) )

Penelope said...

Wouldn't it be great to see the South Seas brought to life in that way? (Not that I've visited yet, but I spent a lot of time editing for Lindsay Crooks' work so feel as if I have . . .)
Amazing to see the bird and the bells together; they're made for one another!

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

Pen - I have just written a poem about bells and birds! (just about to post it) and this was BEFORE I read your comment; talk about synchronicity in the city!

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'