Tuesday, 3 May 2011

For Larry

To hear that a friend has taken his own life, feels like a blow to the stomach. Is there anything more anyone could have done? Guilt creeps in. Was there something more I could have done?

Now there's a gap in the art and creative scene of Dunedin. No more short, American magician on the street. Happy as Larry. No more art discussions. No more Larry poetry. Creative projects - ukelele, piano, time-lapse photos.

No more Larry anywhere in Dunedin. In the world.

I am left with memories like quick shots in a film.

Larry 

Meeting Larry on a bus.
Larry reading his white poem,
his Facebook poem, his St Clair poem.
Larry reading his poems
in Re-Fuel, in Arc,
in Circadian Rhythm. Larry
in our car. Larry in the Mou alley.
Larry playing the piano.
Larry's lagniappe biscuits,
as sweet and light as air
full of snow.
Larry across the street at the lights.
Larry in St Clair. Larry in View Street.
Larry above the Starfish.
Larry at an outside table
at Mazagran.
Larry in the distance. Larry across the table.
As we sit in a Japanese cafe slurping noodles,
I spot Larry putting out his rubbish bag.
When was the last time I saw Larry?
When was the first?

Kay McKenzie Cooke

7 comments:

Dona Bogart said...

My sincere condolences.

Suicide is extra hard to deal with, not only are you terribly sad at losing a loved one and guilty at not being able to prevent it, but I find there is always anger too and additional guilt over the anger.

My thoughts are with you.

Lydia said...

My thoughts are with you as you mourn and remember (so beautifully via this poem) your friend.

A childhood friend of mine committed suicide last May. My tribute post included another's poem, not my own. Those of us he left behind are still so full of questions that will never have answers.

Tender days ahead.

Catherine said...

Thinking of you in the loss of your friend.

Artandmylife said...

Perfect poem for Larry Kay. I saw him in many of those places too and yes, when was the last time I saw him?

Theanne and Baron said...

Condolences for your loss...memories sustain us and wrench us emotionally...still would we have it any other way?

Penelope said...

Amen and thank you, Kay.

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

Thanks everyone. It's hard; others are hurting far more than I am, but nevertheless I will really miss Larry being part of my world. RIP to a man who made a huge impression on Dunedin's creative scene / community. As someone said tonight after his farewell service; George Street, (Dunedin's main street) just won't be the same place without him.

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'