Thursday, 29 July 2010

not so cosy


standing 
(Cosy Nook, Southland)

From somewhere else, you have your way of arrival 
and departure, an announcement then a refusal to stay. 
My appearance, more calculated and planned, yours 
a drawing in, a creation of perpetual motion. Both 
of us here now, to sigh and gaze 
in turn, inside this day we both untie. 

Again you settle, time and time, only to leap away 
with the sun, to finger and thump the rock and ache
for any brow of land you find. How we could both 
agonise over what has come and gone, but then all of us 
who come to stand by your side, 
leave. As if you care. 

No loss or grief ever halts your heart's beat. I stand then 
with family at my back, both the dead and the living, 
as real as your salt-breath that breathes in me 
and through me, over and under, and you 
are the sky, the field, 
the cold, cold hearth. 

Kay McKenzie Cooke

7 comments:

Tim Jones said...

That's a wonderful poem, Kay - you know that I really like your work already, but I think this might be the poem of yours I like the most!

rel said...

Kay,
Mes-mer-izing. As is the tide we watch and drink in with all our senses!
rel

richardg said...

I think this confirms that I prefer this traditional way of setting out a poem ,rather than as prose.I like looking at where each line ends.Poetry really can be quite visual.Well done.

Catherine said...

On my google reader another poem is appearing, one you must have removed - and yes, I know exactly who you are talking about :)
I love this one too, although it seems a little mysterious to me late at night, more so than most of your poems

Kay McKenzie Cooke said...

Tim - Thanks for that. Your comment has made my day.

rel - Yes it was exactly that - mesmerising - the in and the out, the sway. I am chuffed you recognised the rhythm of the poem.

richardg- There is definitely something to be said for the traditional way of setting out a poem - somehow it's more restful?

Catherine - Yes! I pushed Publish when i meant to push Preview ... then tried to retract ... hopefully officially it won't show until tomorrow for Poetry Day - and how funny that you know who it is. I hope I don't get into trouble! :)

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

This is sooooo good! I Love the last stanza.

AJ Ponder said...

Very grown up :) and while I agree with the comments that the essence of the poem is beautifully formed around the lines and through the structure -- I also felt that was the case with your prose poem where the less restful, more worried feel of prose was somehow more appropriate.

cheers.

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'