Tuesday, 20 April 2010

Tuesday's Poem

old music

I am in a circus trick of the balancing kind
my running feet must never leave
this rolling planet's surface
as I make my way back home,
and all I want to do is sleep, not plod.

And there again in the sound of the wind
through wires in the empty playground
where a concrete whale
dopey with its ache for children
to play, can't stop smiling, love

right there, and in the way that last corner
before home calmly crooks
like a parent's elbow, restful
around their child despite knowing
all that we cannot bear.

Kay McKenzie Cooke

This is a poem in its first draft (like all my others posted recently). I am doing NaPoWriMo all through April, attempting to write a poem a day - and it's just about killing me! They are all imperfect and un-formed, so please excuse ...

For more perfectly formed poems, I urge you to go here (to Tuesday's Poem).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've done it again Kay -- beautiful.

Agnes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Agnes said...

Oops, I wasn't signed in.... and commented anonymously.

Tim Jones said...

Another wonderful poem, Kay - I'd be happy to write one of these in a month, let alone a day.

I think I might know that concrete whale, as well - somewhere near the beach?

penelope said...

Ah, Kay, the 'whale dopey with its ache' ... that 'can't stop smiling'. The human conundrum there in the playground. Thank you++.

Kay McKenzie Cooke. said...

Agnes, Tim and Pen - I value your responses more than you can imagine. Thank you. :) Thank you :) Thank you :) xxx

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'