Wednesday, 14 April 2010

it's a poetry thing

I don't think I can manage a poem today. There was a poetry reading on tonight, and after a full day at work, no window available - oh, apart from the 11.00 p.m. - 1.00 a.m. window; but I have used that one a little too much this week, and my body is paying me back, aching for reasonable sleeps.

Well ... maybe I can give one a go. It will have to be about the poetry reading I guess ...

poetry night

Our heads cloudy with words.
According to my friend Joyce*,
there are about as many poets in the world
as wearers of Davy Crockett hats,
so not a lot.

D.T. is here for the first time
- says he's a closet poet.
C's real, off-line outline
materialises
into herself, warm and dear.

A and M and L and C,
and S and J. sit, quietly
dancing on the inside.
L has his ukelele.
C M looks taller than I remember.

The coffee machine goes quiet.
The poets stand up, recite;
beautiful , perplexing
curious, lovely,
lovely, lovely ...

water and fish and rainbows and rooms and birds and parents and eyes and colours ...


We file out, farewells clinking
on a St. Andrew Street
chilling up its autumn night.
As we drive home
we remember other poetry nights.

All different. It's an organic thing.
As I write this, outside
a possum hisses and wheezes
from somewhere
in the pittosporum.


Kay McKenzie Cooke


* Even though I haven't asked Joyce's permission to use the line about Davy Crockett, I certainly want to acknowledge it as her's.

4 comments:

Catherine said...

I love the "possum in the pittosporum". I think there are a lot more poets than people in Davy Crockett hats. A surprising number of people write poetry - unfortunately, more than actually read poetry :)

Kay McKenzie Cooke. said...

Catherine - But the Davy Crockett line is so much more interesting than straight statistics ... ;)

Cy Mathews said...

Thanks for this Kay. I am taller than I remember :)

Kay McKenzie Cooke. said...

Cy - :)

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'