Sunday, 25 April 2010

ANZAC Day, Dawn Service


final note

By the war memorial as darkness thaws
to dawn, the wind shifts through
the large trees full of dying leaves
with a shudder that moves us
to imagine the sound of dark waves
rolling on to a beach

in a more perilous, morning light.
The soldiers had enough ammo
to make a way through,
to protect a mate,
or so they believed. The Last Post
sounds, the bugle's indefinite final note

like a question, a haunting echo
for those hearing it to hold on to
and remember
as it hangs in dank air
like an oar just before it slices back
down again into black water.

Kay McKenzie Cooke

2 comments:

Catherine said...

I'm impressed that you were up at dawn - I'm afraid I sleep in any chance I get :) (We did have a special Anzac Day service at church though, which was very moving).
The last image "like an oar just before it slices/down again into black water" is perfect

jopre said...

Oooh Kay, that last stanza has the hairs standing up on the back of my neck! And I'm with Catherine – that last image is perfect.

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'