Sunday, 21 March 2010

Perspectives

I had a great time with Canterbury poets at the Madras Cafe and Books reading. It was good to meet some fellow-poets I'd only previously met through their blogs, so to speak, and to catch up with others I hadn't seen for some time; including Catherine.

My trip to Christchurch and back however, proved to be a bit of a trial. The particular frame of mind I was in was not conducive to travelling. I lost things (re-covered after panicked backtracking) forgot things, made fuzzy decisions, experienced many confusing moments, made some ditzy, financially costly decisions (mainly involving a taxi-ride to my sister's place from the airport, which cost me $50). All in all, I was glad to finally arrive back home and r-e-l-a-x.
I found the two airports I was in harboured an unpleasant atmosphere of flux and flummox. One personal peeve was the way people the second they got off the plane, made important and desperate plunges for their mobiles. I found this annoying. (Okay, I'm old and cranky).

That is not to say that I didn't value my time away. Apart from reading out my poetry and having it welcomed by a warm and appreciative audience, I also got to stay and catch up with my sister. On the first night, we had dinner out at a place called 'The Vicarage' (see photo above). Very pleasant.

And I also got to meet a grand-nephew for the first time. He maybe was the highlight of my trip. (I am such a sucker for rug-rats!)

***
My lovely friend the writer and artist Claire Beynon from her blog '... All finite things reveal infinitude ...' has awarded me a Sunshine Award. Thank you Claire!

There are a few suggestions that come with this award:

-Send it on - nominate a group of bloggers whose sites you visit

-Put the logo in your sidebar or within a post

-Link the nominees within your post

-Let the nominees know they have received this award by commenting on their blog

-Share by linking the person from whom you received the award

The bloggers it's my joy to nominate, are five bloggers (located right at the bottom of my blog-links sidebar, because they don't blog very regularly). I am selfishly giving them this award in the hope that they will be encouraged to blog more (cos I love their work so!)

Alien Perspectives ... my son's viewpoint of a kiwi alien in Japan.
The Cartoon Moon ... my son's alien viewpoints from his world of art.
Katipo ... my friend Katherine's viewpoints from the ancient world of Greece.
How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Herring ... Marie's viewpoints (with excellent, accompanying photos) as an Aussie living in the 'land of ice and snow'; Sweden.
Endment ... gentle, elegant viewpoints, with photos, from a New York woodland.

So sound the bell; link, enjoy what they posted some time ago and with a comment, encourage them to post some more. Soon. You'll be doing us all a favour.

***

8 comments:

BarbaraS said...

Well at least you got there and back safe and sound :) Really liked the poem in the last post. It's great to go away, but it's better to come home, I find :)

kj said...

where have i been?

new blog, new title, and you are still a great poet and writer! i sympathize with the commotion of traveling. i lose everything most of the time. the problem for me is my two hand limitation. if i had one extra hand, i'm sure i would be more organized.

i wish i could hear you read. you know, if you ever come to america, we have to have lunch or dinner.

:)

love
kj

Carole said...

I like going away (especially the preparations) but I'm always happy to return home.

Becky Willis Motew said...

Dontcha hate the $50 cab rides? Yuck. Actually $50 doesn't sound so bad for these parts. Cute nephew!!!!

apprentice said...

I'm with you a getting easily flummoxed these days. And on mobiles, I can't abide them. People seem joined at the hip these days, like knot or starlings all move on the same direction of travel. It brings out the Aspergers in me!

Your wee grand newphew is a cutie.

Kay McKenzie Cooke. said...

Barbaa - And that's definitely the main thing! Thanks re poem.

kj - That would be so nice! :)

Carole - There's nowhere like home ...

Becky - Esp. as I could've chosen a $30 shuttle instead.

Apprentice - We need to unstrap ourselves a bit more from the techno. and take better looks around.

rel said...

Kay,
I firmly believe that should all cell phone service be shut down, the world would expeience a human pandimonium the likes of which have never been seen before. SAD!
rel

Crafty Green Poet said...

Glad your reading went well!

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'