Monday, 1 March 2010

'born to a red-headed woman'

One of my favourite photos. My mother as a young woman peering a little suspiciously at my father as he takes the photo. (In this photo she still has the fiery, red hair I remember so well as a child).

Autumn is my favourite season. It carries its own weight of serious softness and an endearing sense of inevitability. It points us towards reflection. Where I live, today is the first day of autumn. 'Time for a cool change'.
In keeping with that theme, I've given my blog a new title and header; the working title for my third collection of poetry. I say 'working title' because I'm not sure I will go all the way with it yet, or not. However after living with it for over six months or so, it has become embedded in my psyche - so much so that for me it's already been reduced to the familiar, with its own acronym: btarw.

***
‘don’t let the stars get in your eyes, don’t let the moon break your heart’


On a cold night in June

I was born

to a red-headed woman

in a hospital

by the Waiau river

making heavy work


of its final punch through

to the coast, the thrum of it

underscoring

our breathing, the beating

of my heart

the size of a walnut.


Kay McKenzie Cooke

***



10 comments:

McDinzie said...

love the new title....wish I had thought of it...

BarbaraS said...

Love the title and the poem - just right!

Becky Willis Motew said...

What a good title! And I love the photo of your mother. She looks kind and cheerful. Imagine those days when you wore a dress, nylons, and pumps to the beach. Is that the beach? Well, it's outdoors anyway.

Mama Llama said...

I, too, am finally heading into my favorite season. Signs of spring are slowly beckoning through the melting snow. I anxiously await their glory...

Be well, Kay.

Kay McKenzie Cooke. said...

McD - I wonder what Mum will think?

Barbara - Thanks! :)

Becky - Mum's both of those things, among lots of others - shes' a strong personality. :) Yes it is the beach - taken at my childhood beach Te Waewae Bay.

Mama Llama- Spring is a great season! Buzzy and green ... you'll no doubt be looking at your garden for signs of colour - yay!

rel said...

Kay,
Oh dear I have been away from here too long!
Only poor excuses, so I'll not bore you.
A third book of poetry: you have been diligent and busy girl. I want to be first in line when you publish it, OK?
And I see that you too have a new grandbaby to dote on. Apoem about your mother atop a picture of her great grandchild: is there a poem in there somewhere?

Good to hear from you Kay! Thanks for stopping by.
rel

Clare Dudman said...

That poem is just wonderful, Kay.

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

I absolutely delight in this, as I am a red headed woman, also.

Missed it very much around here. Good to be back.

Now off to read more of your posts that I missed!

;D

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

Kay McKenzie Cooke. said...

rel - Thanks for dropping by & your encouragement. Yeah the theme of great-grandmas etc. is certainly on my mind at moment ... :)

Clare - Thanks!

Scarlett - Good to see you again. Red-headed people rock!

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Yes ma'am! Yes, we do!
;D


Scarlett & Viaggiatore

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'