Saturday, 8 August 2009

Fanciful



My kind, sweet friend kj has asked me to join her in the community of Blogland Lane. Thanks kj. It does me good sometimes, grounded person that I am, to leave this earthly plane for the virtual. I have selected a small cottage with a beach frontage. It is slowly taking shape, form and colour as I draw closer.

bring your crayons

It has two windows,
with curtains nipped in
with a bow. The front door
in between the windows
has a brass knocker
and a round door-handle.

A crooked, flagstone-path
with flowers
bordering both sides,
wanders to the doorstep.
An apple-tree grows
smack bang in the middle
of the round, front lawn.
Smoke curls from a brick chimney.

You recognise this house,
you think,
"I have drawn it before
with crayons.
When I was a child."
And so you did. Now
you draw yourself
inside, draw up a chair.

Wait for the tea
in the Japanese teapot
to draw. Draw closer
to the fire. Draw in a breath.
Draw us sitting there talking
as the day draws to a close.

8 comments:

Wieneke said...

Hello new neighbour, welcome to THE lane. What a serene atmosphere your house has. I love it. Hope to see you soon in my Flower & Giftshop at no. 100 or my house at no. 30. Bye for now.

Remiman said...

Kay,
Crayons oe words; it's a wonderful place to be!
rel

Catherine said...

I love how your poem "draws" on the different meanings of the word "draw". And what a lovely colourful community it seems to be!

kj said...

oh kay, would you be the poet laureate for blogland lane. it could be a one year appointment and this poem--this poem--is so magnificent it says everything about the hopes and dreams of blogland lane.

you are wonderful kay.

xoxo

Becky Motew said...

Lovely poem, lovely photo, and I sat staring at your great grandmother. She looks very beautiful--great bone structure--and as though she had high standards! Let's let her be our guide!

b

Teri and the cats of Furrydance said...

Hi! Your poem brings to mind "The time to rest is when you don't have time"...sounds lovely and zen-like, your new abode from one in your imagination.

Di said...

Lovely! The poem is as delicious as that image of the place ...

Kay said...

Wieneke - I certainly will pay a visit - I can smell the roses from here!

Rel - Thanks!

Catherine - Thanks. You should join!

kj - What an honour! Thank you.

Becky - She has that effect! :)

T & TC - Thanks so much. I like that quote and I agree it was a little like that!

Di - Thanks. At least it won't make you homesick this time!

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'