Sunday, 12 July 2009

Grave Considerations

A good thing to do on a cold day is go for a walk. Maybe a walk to the cemetery wouldn't be first choice for a lot of people. However I don't find them depressing, spooky or morbid ... if anything, they are peaceful places.

(Andersons Bay Cemetery.)


It was a little unsettling to see that vandals had knocked the heads off a lot of the statues - as you can see here.

At one stage, Robert and I became separated and I lost sight of him among the graves somewhere. Which was a surreal moment! However, his reassuring figure, tall, steady and reliable, eventually emerged from the grey, and all was well once more.

From there it was a short step over to Tomahawk Beach.


There was even a rainbow to end what was a very pleasant walk on a winter's Sunday afternoon.

Work tomorrow and Tuesday, then Wednesday off to write and read. Work again on Thursday, then Friday off to write and read. I am really sold on my new three-day working week.

5 comments:

dinzie said...

We visited the cemetry near here..All very colourful !! the "Islanders" have a very different idea to what i'm used to back in the somber churchyards of England ...I wished i'd taken a photo or two :O|

D

BarbaraS said...

I agree, graveyards are peaceful places. I like the older ones here, in Ireland with old-fashioned stone heads. Great pictures.

pen said...

Gosh, I've never seen that zippered hillside — and under each tooth someone's ashes? Tidy. Companionable, kind of.

Kay said...

dinzie - Please do next time you go.

Barbara - One day I hope to see for myself.

pen - They are the soldiers headstones. Love your description!

McDinzie said...

I like the old part of a cemetry...it holds interesting stories.

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'