Monday, 15 June 2009

Heroes (Number Two)

I have been a little remiss on the 'Heroes' theme for June ... let's see if I can do something about that.

This is where I was this morning. At a school a little out of town.

Despite appearances, there were children. However, I am sure posting photos of them without parental consent wouldn't be appreciated; so you will just have to take my word for it.

I was there to take a look at the poetry they have been working on for the past few weeks, and also to read them some of my poetry, as well as answer any questions. I had been asked along as their guest, 'real live poet'.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time with these country-school kids. I found them to be very switched on to what poetry is all about. They asked some perceptive questions, such as "What would you like to be doing, if you weren't doing what you're doing now?" (I answered that I would like to be the owner of a bookshop.) And, "How did you find your poet's voice?" "Who influenced you the most as a poet?" (I said, my mother for it was indeed she who got me writing poetry very early on in life.)
Of course they were being taught by a gifted teacher who knew what she was doing. The whole impression was of a quiet, industrious, courteous class where the children were participants as well as the recipients of some fantastic learning.
A class enthusiastic about writing poetry is something to celebrate! (Ten year olds who know what a simile is, as well as how to work the rhythm of a line.)
All heroes in my book. (And I'll include my mother in there as well.)



3 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

excellent, sounds like a very productive visit, the perfect writer's day at school!

Katipo said...

My ol' school! Good to hear poetry is being kept alive and well thanks to teachers and gifted poets generous with their time. I bet they'll remember your visit for years to come.

Kay said...

CGP - It was that.

Katipo - I thought about you at the school and kept an eye out for any future KD poets!

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'