Friday, 19 June 2009

Drifting To & Away

I took this photo of a driftwood deckchair two years ago at the place where our son is living in Haast, South Westland.

This photo seems kind of appropriate for me at the moment, drifting as I am from home, by bus, to the borders of our province and crossing over. Into Southland. I am going to Gore. (Cue for a country music track. Maybe Buffy Sainte-Marie's 'I'm Gonna Be A Country Girl Again'.) I am off to see my aunt who lives there, and my sister from Christchurch who has been visiting there for a couple of days already.
My sister sent me a pxt of my most favourite place in the world, as a tease, because alas I will not be able to make it quite that far south this time and she made the pilgrimage to the 'homeland' without me. Tomorrow we travel from Gore through to the borders of Central Otago, to Beaumont. This is where my brother and his family live and where our niece is celebrating her 21st birthday. At the Beaumont pub.
Beaumont is where there is a bridge over the Clutha river, and the threat from one of the evil Power Companies to flood and drown the whole place. For yet another dam. Damn the dam! (The locals have opted to take a positive stance and highlight the beneficial features of Beaumont, trusting that these positive, vibrant vibes may work more against the dam construction than any negative protests. Think: Aesop fable about the competition between the wind and sun to make the old man remove his overcoat.)
Will report re provincial travel and sundry family adventures upon return.

5 comments:

BarbaraS said...

Enjoy your trip away, look forward to hearing about it. And the driftwood chair looks amazing too.

Becky Motew said...

Lovely chair. I would so love to join you at the Beaumont pub. We could leave the 21-y-o's to their carousing and go off in a corner to laugh and carry on. Have a great time!
b

by kd said...

I like the chair too. P&A's photos from Haast feature driftwood largely -- the local specialty I guess (along with possum pies). I hope you enjoy your time with the family.

kj said...

so you're traveling...

and we like the same music...

and you write so well...

thinking of you...

xoxo
kj

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

I LOVE this chair and want one just like it!!!

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'