Sunday, 14 June 2009

At Home

I'm not sure what bird this is - I don't want to get into trouble with Dinzie! (who I am indebted to for identifying any wrongly identified NZ fauna on this blog) so will say it's probably a goldfinch. If it is indeed a goldfinch, I will be happy to report this to Forest and Bird, who are wanting members to note the birds that visit our backyards.



S & E's wedding was in January. Since then, remnants of the bouquet have been quietly fading and drying out into shells of themselves, all the light and life that they contained when in full bloom, reduced to a paper-thin essence.

Yesterday the beach looked resplendent under clear blue, winter skies.



Our house is a very, very fine house ...


with two cats in the yard ...


I love the way these wooden bungalows in Crest Street line up.

And this is where R spends a lot of time, de-stressing after a day (or week) at work.

6 comments:

Becky Motew said...

These are fantastic photos. I love the bird shots in the last post. That first one could play a bad guy on TV. And I didn't realize you lived on such a hillside--beautiful!

b

My name is Katipo aka Katherine Liddy said...

This blog is part of the reason I don't get homesick. I feel like I can just pop down to St. Clair/Macandrew Bay any time! I love those clear winter days.

BarbaraS said...

These are beautiful, esp. the finch (see what I did there, I got out of indentifying the bird!). But it's always the blue in your skies down there that gets me...

pen said...

A fine house indeed, and a fine city you're capturing. But what's our cat doing on your windowsill?! Try calling her Biddy. :)

Kay said...

Becky - It's pretty nice here with the birdies! You must pay us a visit! :)

Katherine - It was a cracker day - or as my Mum would say a Corker day.

Barbara - Some days the blue blesses us with its presence. Today it is a white, very cold and bitter sky (which somehow still has its appeal ...)

pen - That's Aggie - maybe Biddy's cuz?!

dinzie said...

Sorry - previous reply was not meant to sound so haughty :o\ I even mentioned to McD it was a bad comment ...

It's definitely a Goldfinch though :O)

D

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'