Thursday, 7 May 2009

Hangout

Dunedin's painted bus shelters catch the eye and are much photographed. These are two that I passed today on a walk along the harbour at Vauxhall. Most of the shelters were painted by John Noakes. (This link's sidebar takes you to more of his bus-shelter art. Sadly he died in 2006, aged 67 years old.) It's a wonderful thing that his art lives on for a bit longer on many bus-shelters, and that his original idea to paint the shelters is now being upheld as a tradition. I don't know if these shelters I saw today are of John Noakes' design, because of course as the original murals become faded they are re-touched/re-done. But I trust the original spirit that the shelters were painted in is being kept in mind by the artists.


***

You used to be able to walk right out along this little pier, but I noticed today that it had one side missing and I didn't trust myself to walk safely all the way to the end. Besides, at the end of the rail there were was a hangout (which is the official collective noun, I looked it up!) of shags and it would have been very rude of me to disturb them.

***



5 comments:

Tim Jones said...

I'm sad to hear that John Noakes has died. When I lived in Dunedin, I spent quite a bit of time on the Peninsula. Looking at the bus shelters John had painted so charmingly was one of the highlights of my Peninsula journeys.

Remiman said...

Kay,
Oh how I enjoy reading your words. There is a lilt to your way of relating your day's observations.
You've been a much better blogger than myself of late. Perhaps I'll try sleeping in and being late for work to see if it rekindles my youthful verve. ;>)
rel

Crafty Green Poet said...

Lovely bus shelters! I like the collective noun for the shags, i didn't know that before...

Becky Motew said...

Those bus stops are fantastic! I think I would start taking the bus if I could look at those while I waited. Unfortunately, my town is in the boonies. I think we are called an exurb or Boston.

b

Kay said...

Tim - Yes it is a loss but hopefully we will keep on with this unique legacy.

Rel - I dunno about being a better blogger - I've been a little slack I feel.
Thanks for your kind comments.

CGP _ Yes, I liked discovering the collective noun too!

Becky - The boonies sounds rather exotic to me! ;)

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'