Thursday, 14 May 2009

Getting It Down

I've been writing more these past few weeks than I have for a couple of years now. Dropping down to a four-day working week has made the difference, giving me more time. A whole day free of any distraction, has kick started me into the rhythm of writing and owning the focus and concentration that it takes to sit down, and write.
I find this day's writing effort builds up a momentum, a bit like a large wave, that overlaps into other days of the week making me more inclined to grab other spare moments available to write.
I know I need to test the writing. So I send it out. This is also something I haven't done a great deal of in the past few years. It's a bit like starting again, but this time with a difference. I feel more relaxed about any outcomes. There's a certain ... hmmm ... nonchalance, I guess. (One dictionary definition of that word is: 'having an air of easy unconcern or indifference.') I don't really care whether the work I am sending out is accepted for publication or not. At the moment it just feels like I am 'playing about' with ideas for short stories, long poems; maybe even back stories for a novel. Getting down to writing and getting the writing down.


8 comments:

kj said...

you are my inspiration! i'm so glad you have an extra day--i'll bet the night before that extra day feels pretty fine too...

love
kj

Claire Beynon said...

Hooray, Kay - you sound so fired up, it's terrific. I'm sure you've probably read these words of Janet Frames, but here they are again...

"The only certainty about writing and trying to be a writer is that it has to be done, not dreamed of or planned and never written, or talked about (the ego eventually falls apart like a soaked sponge), but simply written: it's a dreadful, awful fact that writing is like any other work."

Janet Frame (The Envoy From Mirror City)

May the welcome muse continue to keep you happy company. L, C

Claire Beynon said...

Ooops, how could I have left out the apostrophe? I meant to say "Janet Frame's" words... Whew. That feels better.

Catherine said...

Lovely photo. I look forward to seeing your work appearing in various magazines - I'm sure that some acceptances will come your way sooner or later

Jan said...

Great to hear Kay and I know exactly how you feel....A WHOLE day of writing is fantastic, isn't it!

McDinzie said...

so glad you getting things accomplished....I admire your determination to get your writing out there

Kay said...

kj - Sure does!

claire - I love that and no haven't read them before so thanks Claire.

Catherine - Thanks, I feel and appreciate your support.

Jan - Oh yes!

McD - Thanks Lil Sis.

Remiman said...

Kay,
Nonchalance. It's an appealing word, if only in that it takes the pressure off and lets serious thoughts come forth for the recording.
Glad to hear you've got your groove back.
rel

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'