Saturday, 30 May 2009

Foaming Ocean


Despite appearances, after descending the sand-dunes and hitting the beach itself, heading into the wind was a little bitter. I was forced to shove my hands into my pockets, pull my woolly hat farther down over my ears and put my head down against the sting of drifting tails of dry sand that whipped along the damper sand, like wreathes of smoke.
However, after turning to head the other way, with the wind at my back, things were altogether different. My hands warmed-up and could emerge from my pockets. With the wind at my back, I started to enjoy the sight of foam draped against wood and kelp,






of sunlight on a patchwork of hills

and all the tiny, sand drawings and sculptures where the wind and sand had played with the detritus left behind from a high tide.









And all the while, at my side, the huge, roaring waves kept within their boundary,

as the ocean like a wild dog foaming at the mouth, strained and bayed against the chains of sky and earth that keep it tethered.

15 comments:

pen said...

Wasn't that stretch of beach irresistible today? And a hot choc at the cafe then sand-dancing home. Thanks for sharing your pocketful of flotsam... P

BarbaraS said...

Gosh, I feel refreshed just from reading this. What a bracing wind, what roaring waves... brrr! Beautiful pics as ever.

Catherine said...

Has the cold southerly reached you yet? Supposedly it is arriving here about midnight, with snow possible tomorrow...
A good thing I got some gardening in today, I think tomorrow will be weather for a book in front of a roaring fire
(Nice photos)

マツけんZ said...

instantly transported from humid and thundery japan to a place so utterly familiar. cheers ma.

Becky Motew said...

Gorgeous!
As always, of course.

I like the sunlight on the hills the best.

You have the eye, that's for sure. Also the ear.
b

Kay said...

pen - I have to say that my eating regime forbids hot chocs right now ... but walks like that one make up for it.

Barbara - Thanks - happy to oblige with some icy breath.

Catherine - In front of the fire for sure - I believe you are colder than us right now.

S - Hopefully you'll be able to walk this stretch again sometime in the not too distant future.

Becky - Thanks it was a great perambulation.

Clare Dudman said...

Ah yes, you've captured it all - a delicious wildness.

Mariposa said...

This post made me yearn for the coastline of my native state, Kay. Thank you for that! Keep warm.

Crafty Green Poet said...

what an amazing series of photos!

Di Mackey said...

I can never resist looking and you know what ... I really really shouldn't. I know that place so well.

Meanwhile, we're slow cooking here, as the temps sit around 24celsius. It was a long cold grey winter so the adjustment to be a sweaty little kiwi is taking some time.

Loved your post and the photographs.
xo

Kay said...

Clare - Thanks :) The sea was extra foamy for some reason. I enjoyed the foaminess of it all.

MariP - I think if you were born by the sea you always have an affinity ... hope you get to walk along 'your' bit sometime soon and touch base.

CP - I get pleasure looking at your superb photos of around Edinburgh too.

Di - I just know you'll be back walking this stretch pretty soon ...

apprentice said...

A gorgeous photo eassy of the beach Kay!

That cooling wind was a welcome relief from our three day scorcher here - this is our long awaited summer, but it is set to break on Wednesday

January said...

Such a contrast to North America this time of year; although, the water is still quite cold in New England.

Thanks for the wonderful pictures.

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Spoken (and photographed) like a true poet!

Kay said...

Anna - I love the difference and contrasts - ads spice to life.

January - new England ... seems a world away - and it is!

Joyce - Thanks, it seems I can't help myself ... ;0

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'