Tuesday, 17 March 2009

Relish The Thought of Jam and Chutney


Now don't they look just darling?


My sister McD and her partner Dinzie sent us a package the other day. I was scared (after some warning texts from my sister) that the parcel was either going to contain a rather large pumpkin, or Dinzie! ... Instead, inside were five, glimmering jars full of golden and ruby-red delights ... Tomato Tumeric Chutney, Beetroot Relish, Tomato Chutney, Tomato and Marrow Chutney and Blackberry Jam.


We have personally sampled each jar. The verdict? Yummy, tasty, spicy and more-ish. I have just made my lunch for tomorrow ... cold chicken and beetroot relish in one sandwich and cold lamb and tomato and marrow chutney in the other. (But my favourite is the tomato chutney; it's truly something special. Probably a secret recipe!) Wikipedia tells me: ' The Hindi translation of "to make chutney" is a common idiom meaning "to crush". This is because the process of making chutney often involves the crushing of ingredients together.' Also from Wikipedia; 'A relish is a cooked pickled, chopped vegetable or fruit food item which is typically used as a condiment. The item generally consists of discernible vegetable or fruit pieces in a sauce, although the sauce is subordinate in character to the vegetable or fruit pieces. But after reading up on relish and chutney, I still don't really know the difference! (And that's without throwing pickles into the mix.)
And the blackberry jam? Well, it's to die for, and going on my toast in the morning. Blackberry jam takes me back to the wild blackberry days of my childhood, coming home from school to find a note from Mum: 'Down in the gully picking blackberries', then going off to look for her and finding her and Nana, as the note had said, down in the gully; their fingers stained red from filling a basket each with squishy, plump, glorious berries of such a deep red they did indeed look as black as their name suggests.

McD and Dinzie have spent the best part of a year now growing their own vegetables, first of all putting in a mammoth effort to clear a whole bank of gorse (where rats had been happily building nests!) for their garden. You can follow the progress and results on Dinzie's blog.

10 comments:

BarbaraS said...

Yum. There is nothing as nice as homemade chutneys and jams. And blackberry always reminds me of my youth, picking them in autumn time. These sound delicious - I had a go at a chilli jam before christmas as well as an apple and cranberry chutney, but they pale beside your boys there!

by kd said...

They make a lovely picture, too! Those jewel reds gleaming in the glass... Yummy!

Catherine said...

I'm not a great chutney fan, but the blackberry jam sounds yummy. I wonder if the difference between relish and chutney is just that you pick whichever sounds best with the first word in the pair :)
("Chutney" to me sounds more chunky than "relish" - "relish" suggests jewellike, glowing and semi-transparent).
I've been reading Barbara Kingsolver's book "Animal, Vegetable, Mineral" about a year of living on their own produce - including turkeys and chickens - your sister might enjoy it.

Endment said...

You have made me hungry! - Just finished baking some bread and really need some jam :) Have to go check through the pantry :) I have never made chutney - do you or McD have any good recipes you are willing to share?

McDinzie said...

so glad you like the chutney and relish....we also wonder what makes the difference as we have been making them...apart from taste. Yes the tomato chutney is our fav as well....try putting it into a chicken stirfry...oh yummy!!!

dinzie wont let me tell you the recipe....I'll give you a hint though its and indian one...chatni...passed down from his indian ancestory...do you believe me...bet you dont!

dinzie said...

oooh never let McDinzie know your secret recipes !!

anyway

Namasthe ! :O) The old indian acestors served us well with such recipes :O)

Glad you liked the chatni's and relishes and jams :O)

Actually we've also just made a tomato/plum sauce which is rather damned nice ....

We've bought gooseberry bushes !! hope they fruit next year :O)

D

apprentice said...

I like the fact that your store cupboard is full, I won't feel so guilty as we start to steal your light.

Gooseberry chutney is delish. I've got an old book that lists all the regional jams and chutneys of the UK, India was a big influence on our cooking - especially Army personnel returning with recipes.
They say that things are sweeter on the west coast of the UK because of the infamous sugar trade from the W Indies - Kendal mint cake etc, etc.

pen said...

Finally, Kay, I've figured out how to link you to my blog. Phew. Enjoy your sammies.

chocolate covered musings said...

wow, those images and your words have my mouth watering - there's nothing quite like home-made jams and chutneys indeed

Tammy said...

Oh yum!!!!HUG

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'