Monday, 9 March 2009

Bridge Collaboration


This is the poster for an art exhibition; designed to also be part of the Dunedin Heritage Festival; opening on Friday, at the Collaborations Gallery. Photographers, artists, jewellers, sculptors are all taking part ... and a poet - me!
I was invited by the Collaborations Gallery owner, jewellery-maker and artist, Cecilia (Jane) Orr,  to be part of the exhibition and write a poem about this historical, railway footbridge, its demise and (due to skilful engineering and a desire to retain heritage) its subsequent 're-birth'. (I will post the poem after the exhibition opens.)
The fall of the footbridge was due to a freak accident when a train was travelling underneath and the flaps of a container wagon freed from its bolts, flew up and broke the one hundred year old bridge. An Australian tourist using the bridge at the time fell off the bridge, but luckily was okay. (So thankfully, Kiwi-Ozzie relations are still intact!)
As Collaborations Gallery is dedicated to collaborative works and projects, I have in turn asked my son, the artist Mike Cooke to paint a painting in response to the poem.
Here is a link to local tv report on the damage done to the bridge that day in February, 2008. 
I have used the footbridge at various times in my working life, so I am able to appreciate the feeling it gives you of access and height; suspension and strength. The bridge was a special old thing, so I am very pleased to be a part of this exhibition.
Collaboration ... it's a word I am hearing more and more about these days.

11 comments:

Rethabile said...

You've been memed!

Crafty Green Poet said...

and that's the type of collaboration i like best, people coming together from different backgrounds and all putting their skills into a big pot.

BarbaraS said...

It's a great word, collaboration, and I am hearing it a lot these days too.

Congrats on your involvement in this event; can't wait to read your report - you just keep going from strength to strength! :)

Tammy said...

I bet you are happpy to be apart of this. Kudos! XXOO

Patry Francis said...

I love it when artists connect--and especially when poets are included!

kj said...

i wish we could collaborate together, kay!

stop by my blog when you have a moment. there's an award waiting for you.

x0

Dana said...

I can't wait to see the poem, and I hope you will post your son's painting as well.

McDinzie said...

You are such a celebrity and my sis to boot :-)

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Collaboration is a very good thing.

And, although I am really sorry to hear that such an old structure was damaged, it's a relief to know that everyone cared enough to fix it and make a day of it!

I know your poem will be wonderful, and I can't wait to read it!

;o)

May you be blessed with perfect weather...

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

Kay said...

Ret - I am going to do something about that this weekend!

cgp - It's been a fascinating process so far.

Barbara - Thanks. I will report back.

Tammy - Very happy!

Patry - The synergy and energy are special.

kj - Thanks soooo much! :)

Dana - You can count on it.

Lil Sis - Ta! Thanks for jam and chutney too! xx

Scarlett - Thanks for that - we need the good weather so a timely blessing from you!

Mama Llama said...

What a lovely honor, to be included in such a collaborative (!) effort. With social tendencies driving us into more isolation, I love to see the ideal of working together to bring about greatness still being practiced.

Looking forward to reading more details, Kay!

Be well.

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'