Friday, 13 June 2008

Long Poem, Blue Bowl and Short Stories


Blue glass bowl on G&G's dining table - beyond are mountains, granite-faced and dusted with snow.

***

A very long poem by David Eggleton (one that was maybe especially commissioned?) has been plastered / incorporated on to the stone wall in Queenstown. I don't know how many people read all of the poem - it stretches a long way around the lake frontage.

I have read it all a couple of times and although I find it causes a bit of a crink in my neck, it's worth it for the strong images and clever language used to evoke the rugged history of the settlement of Queenstown.

Maybe it can inspire me to get on to writing the long poem quietly steaming at the back of my head.

***
On the way to work this morning I thought of a short story ... and then because it takes me 45 minutes to walk to work, there was plenty of time available for several more to leap to mind. (It is a good walk, except that I arrive to work at a childcare centre heated by a very efficient heat pump to 20 degrees, and so spend the next 45 minutes wiping the perspiration dripping from my face and neck and feeling totally discomfited.)

***
So ... with several stories in mind and one long poem (long enough to sculpt into the miles-long, pale cliffs of Te Waewae Bay? ... yeah - in my dreams!) this weekend will most likely turn out to be far too short.

***

10 comments:

Jan said...

That's fantastic.
Your mind must be buzzzzzing!

KD said...

build an office and inspiration will come :)

Tammy said...

What a beautiful way to honour a city's history. Very cool and creative.

I'm excited for your stories and long poem to come out. :)

Happy Weekend!

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Well... let's hear some of the ideas and stories!

How interesting, the long ribboned poem, I would read it, if I was there.

Perhaps one day I will be.


Scarlett & Viaggiatore

pepektheassassin said...

So, now it is the weekend where you are (tho' it is still Friday here!) and I expect you are sitting in your new digs and writing up a storm at this very moment! Good on ya! Keep on keeping on!

mapiprincesa! said...

A poem that causes a crink in your neck...hmmm, wonder if that was part of the author's purpose? Never thought of appealing to a reader with such a physical manifestation before!

I really like the photo of the blue bowl. What color!

Keep making use of that wonderful new office space! Be well, Chief.

chiefbiscuit said...

jan - Yes it is - but I am still able to get to sleep, so that's the main thing. :)

kd - Ha! Hopefully so ...

tammy - Thanks muchly my friend.

scarlett - I hope you are! It will keep, so you do have time! :)

pepek- Your faith in me is a humbling thing! ;)

mapi - Thanks! That particular shade of blue is probably my fav. colour ...

Catherine said...

The poem wasn't there last time we were in Queenstown, as far as I recall. Maybe we'll get down there one day in the next few years - we have a timeshare there, but have only used it for exchanging for quite a while now.
I just don't get this heating rooms to 20 degrees in winter, despite what the World Health Organisation reputedly says. I, like you, find I get too hot in my winter clothes if I am moving round at all. Of course it's a different matter for the old and sick.

Kay said...

Or childcare centres for that matter ... altho' we may be bringing up a generation of sugar babies methinks.

paris parfait said...

I love the idea of them incorporating a long poem into a long walk. Beautiful!

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'