Monday, 21 April 2008

A Walk on the Peninsula

When my friend C from the UK came over in 2001, we made so many great memories. One of them was a walk on the Peninsula over to Boulder Beach to spot penguins coming in from the surf. As we drove home, a sunset painted the sky in front of us - so beautiful we just gazed; didn't say a word. When she left, there were tears at the airport ... Once back in the car after saying good-bye we found a cd she'd left there for us. It was Lou Reed's 'Perfect Day', sung by various artists. It is a cd we have played many times since. It achieves just what C had intended. A recapture, a sealing of a day that has gone very well. C and her husband have been over again since that year and more memories have been made - I particularly remember a night of wine, music and fish and chips in a motel in Te Anau ...
Today was another perfect day for a walk on the Peninsula, and as I write this I am playing the gift-song C left behind for us. Perfect.










16 comments:

Tammy said...

Stunning location and you are the cutest little mariner in that hat!

XXOO

Jan Doble said...

I Soooo Love your interests! I am trying to capture a butterfly right now (with my camera)...it hasn't happened yet but I'm working on it.

leonie said...

i love the trees on the nz coastlines - it's always really easy to tell which way the prevailing wind blows from the way the manuka and kanuka grow :)

pepektheassassin said...

I love these so much. You live in such a lovely place--a beautiful woman in a beautiful place! Thanks for letting us take the walk alongside you!

January said...

Beautiful memories to go along with your photos. Thank you for sharing.

watermaid said...

These are beautiful CB and the location looks so tranquil.

cynbagley said...

Beautiful.

Catherine said...

That wind-swept tree is amazing. I don't think I've seen any spot on the Port Hills which is quite as windy as that

Remiman said...

Cb,
I'll not ruin with words the reverie in me brought about by your photographic poem, other than to say........
Nice hat!
rel ;)

chiefbiscuit said...

tammy - Ahoy!

jan - Thanks for visiting.

leonie - I can never resist a twisted tree!

pepek - Thanks - when the sun shines, all is sweet ;)

january - Poems too I hope (when I get the time.)

watermaid - Thanks. But as you can tell by the tree - the winds sure can blow as well.

cyn - Not a bad little place eh!

catherine - Oh yes, the Peninsula very exposed to the southerlies and north-easterlies.

rel - Ha!

Pam in Tucson said...

What a beautiful place. It reminds me of parts of the west of Ireland. Your photos are lovely!

kj said...

these photos are AWESOME! your part of the world is uniquely beautiful. i assume that is a monarch butterfly? they hover in my backyard all summer. i always think it is good luck.

kj said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Avus said...

Great photos, Chief - and loved the hat!
Ah - Otago. Loved it there and we will be back next year.

Di Mackey said...

Beatiful, beautiful, beautiful, and you look really good in that outfit!

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

It's a good thing you were in a couple of these photos... they seem so surreal, so haunting and beautiful like a dream, and you being in them brings a reality to them that is not there without you.
...a tether to the earth.

What a magnificent place you are in, thank you so much for sharing it!

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'