Saturday, 26 January 2008

Today's Takings

Morning sun at home.
At work ... poroporo growing by the side of the path leading up to the Albatross Observatory. It is a plant related to the potato and deadly nightshade and which apparently contains steroids. Poroporo is Maori for purple.
Dandelion. Not (as I wrongly supposed for years) named because of its resemblance to a lion's mane - but because of the French dent de lion meaning lion's tooth, referring to the coarsely-toothed leaves. And did you know (courtesy of Wikipedia ... ) In modern French the plant is called pissenlit, which means "urinate in bed", apparently referring to its diuretic properties. Likewise, "pissabeds" is an English folkname for this plant, piscialletto in Italian and in Spanish it is known as the meacamas. How interesting!

Seagulls do not like to share their air space - and this one is letting an albatross know all about it. Does the albatross look bothered?
On one side of the headland, a small ship cruises around the sand spit and into the harbour.
On the other side, signposts show where the albatrosses head when they leave here. (They are capable of travelling 1,000 kilometers; 500 miles; a day) ...
... and a view of the Albatross Centre, car park and display board.

16 comments:

Remiman said...

CB,
I'm here to tell you that those same Dent-de-lion's shaggy yellow petals make a superb and potent wine. Now, besides Ray Bradbury and me, you know. ;)
rel

watermaid said...

I'm pleased to see you blogging again. I was a little concerned about you with the upset of those murders.

When I was a little girl my grandmother told me not to pick dandelion or I would wet the bed.

Thanks for dropping in at watermaid's place.

Katherine said...

Strange that people would actually take medicine to wet the bed!
Love the harbour pics.

Tammy said...

I always enjoy the sights that surround you. Lovely

I never look at Dandelions in the same way. LOL

HUGS

Marc said...

Even I could not pass up a sample of Dandelion Wine when offered one. I took it in remembrance of Ray Bradbury's summer-in-a-bottle!

Lovely pictures!

pepektheassassin said...

OOoops. That was me, Pepek. Not marc.

pepektheassassin said...

OOoops. That was me, Pepek. Not marc.

pepektheassassin said...

watermaid: they told me that, too.

chiefbiscuit said...

rel - My education is now complete!

watermaid - Thanks for your concern - I was down a little bit with all that darkness ... but I believe it is up to us to make sure the darkness doesn't prevail; so to counteract, I am making sure I spread some light ... now is that taking myself too seriously, or what? ;)

katherine - Just what I thought! Go figure! :)

tammy - Me either!

pepek - So its trans Atlantic as well as trans Pacific - aint the world grand?! Just the other day a Canadian tourist pointed to those very same dandelions and said - 'Dandelions! They grow all over the world.'

apprentice said...

Just wanted to say everyone here has been touched that the NZ community paid for a fellow Orcadian to travel home with the Aims girl's coffin. 12k miles is a long way on your own. Just so very sad.

mapiprincesa! said...

A stunning poroporo photo, Chief. And I, who *so* loves purple...!

Thank you, as always, for sharing, and for adding some more color to my days.

Be well, Chief.

Mrs. G. said...

When I was a kid, dandelion wine was a delicacy.

Your morning sun is lovely.

chiefbiscuit said...

apprentice - Thanks Anna. It was such a sad case of needless violence and evil. We have had a few in NZ this summer. Don't know what to think ... just feel helpless and want to hug my own kids. I feel so bad for Karen's family.

mapi - Pororporo princesa - you have a happy day / week / month / year - oh to heck with it - decades!!! Life. :)

mrs g - Wine when you're kids - wow you must have a great life over there!

Di Mackey said...

Hmmm, I think I should only call by in the evenings, with a well-filled glass of wine to combat the feeling of seeing home :)

dinzie said...

Hi

They look too small for dande lions ... my mum used to make dandelion wine .. We drank it as kids as well .. but she also made a dandylion and lemon summer drink that was special :O) AND in the UK when I were lad they sold bottles of fizzy dandelion and burdock sodapop .... my fave ...

They still look too small for dandelion ... They are growing in my tarmac 3 times the size :O)

Cailleach said...

Oh yeah, we call them piss-the-beds here in Ireland too!

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'