Monday, 5 November 2007

Wind and Crossed Wires



A cold day here today and I haven't ventured out at all. I just hunkered down and watched out the window as the southerly dressed down a cabbage tree on the other side of our little valley. Over behind a hill with its back to the coast, we are lee-side, where all remains still.

And so My American Sentence for today is ...

Over there, look, the wind is turning trees into a cat o' nine tails.


This wasn't something anyone said, because apart from ABM, I haven't been in contact with anyone today (except the woman who rang the wrong number ... which actually leads me to my other American Sentence ... )

Who am I speaking to? Oh I'm sorry, I've gone and rung the wrong number.


6 comments:

Jan said...

Wrong numbers are a brilliant writing prompt!
HAve done this with my class and get great results...some hilarious, others a bit tragic.
Keep warm and create more lovely words, CB ..

paris parfait said...

Ha! You are funny. But we Americans say "cattails." When I was a little girl, we had a house out in the country and there was a small pond with cattails growing there. xo

Marie said...

What wonderful pictures. You've captured the wind perfectly. I wonder how the albatrosses are doing in this weather? Probably loving it.

mapiprincesa! said...

I sooooooo love blustery days. They make me feel so free. We are expecting some rain tonight, but I haven't heard that it will be particularly stormy. I like the storms. There is a certain unpredictability...will the power go out? Will the wind howl? Will branches fall down? It is, in so many ways, very romantic, this spontaneity of Mother Nature.

chiefbiscuit said...

jan - I think that's a brilliant idea for a subject to write about.

PP - So that's what I've been reading about all this time in Anne of Green Gables, Pollyanna et al. :)

marie - I never seem to be at the Heads when it's windy ... I arrive and it's suddenly still. What is that all about? But yes, you'll be right - the albatrosses would have been having the time of their little lives. All the juveniles would have been showing off. Boy Racers I call them!

mapi - Most people don't like the wind - but like you, I find there's something refreshing about it - as if all our cares are being blown away as well. And storms are dramatic and exciting. (Except for the major disaster-type ones - they're not exactly what I'd call fun.)

Wayne said...

Hello, who is speaking?
I dunno. You rang me. You tell me.

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'