Thursday, 1 November 2007

Round and Round the Headland


Through the month of November I will attempt to post daily.

The posts will be short - through necessity, because one cannot do everything otherwise one runs out of energy and the will to live.

Through November I am going to highlight some of my favourite New Zealand poets. One poet a post.

Today's poet: Ruth Dallas. Born in Invercargill, she is a fellow Southlander who writes of landscapes I can identify with in a deep, intrinsic way. She has written many poetry books. She lives in Dunedin and is now well into her eighties and fairly frail. Even so, another book of hers was published last year - The Joy of a Ming Vase

Today I didn't get to do an albatross talk, just a fort tour. I showed a couple from near Newcastle, UK, around the Fort. They were sweet and interested and informed - they knew what I was talking about when I described the range finder and the interrupted thread on the breech loader. It must be something in the water in Newcastle, because that is where the inventor of the disappearing gun that I was showing them actually came from. Tomorrow is a particularly busy day with passengers from a cruise ship in town.
What we hope for more than anything is for the albatross to be flying. Come on you boy-racer albatrosses - round and round the headland you go!

American Sentence for today : "Would you mind shutting the door? A cold draught is blowing on to my legs."
(For my AS, I like to use something I've heard someone say during the day.)

10 comments:

Catherine said...

I didn't realise that Ruth Dallas was still alive. I enjoy her poetry very much.
I'm thinking of trying the American sentences, but calling them "Western haiku" (apart from within this group, who know what an American sentence is). But I'm going to finish my trip diary first, it takes ages to write and upload all the photos each night so it is all I have time for.

mapiprincesa! said...

Hi, there! When speaking of "American sentences" are you referring to idiomatic expressions, or nothing in particular, just something that strikes your fancy when used in context, that you hear while working among the tourist banter?

I'd love to take one of your tours. I so regret not having traveled to your neck of the woods while on that side of the Dateline. I had plenty of time to do so...

January said...

What a great idea, profiling poets this month. I really enjoy finding new poets and writers from around the world.

Cynthia E. Bagley said...

I enjoyed your post. I am stopping for a minute to get my second wind. :-) (for nanowrimo)

Shameless said...

What a good idea to highlight kiwi poets ... I hope you will include Sam! lol

Marie said...

I always learn so much when I visit your blog (as well as it being a visual feast as well). I know very little about Kiwi poets, despite us being neighbours, so I'm looking forward to reading more.

Good luck with the writing.

Rethabile said...

Good idea. I will of course try to post on a daily basis, too. My toes are crossed.

How I'll like coming here!

chiefbiscuit said...

catherine - Yes American Sentences are fun ... shame Ginsberg didn't realise they would become international ... but then are we sure that the translation of 'haiku' isn't Japanese Sentences?

mapi - Either. I think it's whatever you want tto do with 17 syllables. I am using what I overhear - and if it's in the kiwi vernacular all the better.

january - As long as I have the time - didn't have time the next day after this post.

cyn - Have fun! :)

shameless - Oh yes I think I will have to as he was one of the first to inspire me to aim for local colour!

marie - Thanks for reading - hope you will find poets to appreciate.

rethabile - Thank you so much! Keep those toes crossed! ;)

harvey molloy said...

I think Ruth Dallas is our most under appreciated writer. She has never really been given her dues! I think blogging is a great way of sharing poems we like with people.

chiefbiscuit said...

Harvey - I like the way you have a 'poem a post' on your blog. Promoting NZ poetry is a good thing. A fine thing. I think I may continue to promote kiwi poets even after NaBloPoMo is over.

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'