Tuesday, 13 November 2007

Rained-On Lily


I took this photo yesterday of a lily just after it had been rained on.

Contrast that with the grey sea that I looked out at from the staff room at tea-break today.


What a cold, blustery day.


The visitors scurried from the warmth of their camper vans to the warmth of the Centre, experiencing a wild walk in between.

But the albatrosses loved it. They are impossible to capture in a lens - they can get up to soaring speeds of 100 ks. Of course, not around the headland, but still fast enough to make it hard to get them in focus and close up.


I’m only up to 4,500 words on my NaNoWriMo dab. I call it dab because I never seriously expected to plunge through to the 50,000 words challenge. However, it’s been a good motivator. I think what I am doing is writing a short story.

I don’t know if anything will come of the short story I am writing. I keep vacillating. And the dilemma I slip too easily between, is whether to concentrate on prose or poetry.
It is fair to say that when I am writing prose, I miss poetry, but when I am writing poetry I don't miss writing prose at all.

Sometimes I think I only want to write prose because it is the more respected, or understood. More people read it. When I tell people that I write, they inevitably ask, What do you write? When I say poetry, sometimes an awkward silence follows. As if poetry is too scary and difficult.

American Sentences - to refresh your memory - is something Allan Ginsberg made up. Some of us non-Americans wonder if we are able to write one too. However, haiku isn’t restricted to just the Japanese, so I figure American Sentences aren’t just for, or about, Americans. It is simply another form of short poetry. It is a sentence, or a line of poetry, made up of 17 syllables.

Hey! Thanks to Ceridwen, there's a new poetry site: read.write.poem. Go check it out.

My American sentence for today is -: Tomorrow’s forecast is for sleet with snow down to seven hundred feet.

7 comments:

mapiprincesa! said...

As I lived at 500 feet when I was a child, I was always so disappointed when that snow level just would not quite make it down to that 500 foot level! We could see it all around us in the valley, but it was like an untouchabletemptation of a tasty treat...

What a gorgeous lily! That alone has brightened my existence today. Thank you, Chief.

Endment said...

The lily is an inspiration for an otherwise gray and foggy day.
You brighten my day - thanks

harvey molloy said...

I'd never heard of "American Sentences' before. Thanks for this.

Marie said...

On a day full of snow flurries, that lily just lit my my living room like a beacon.

I admit I had to consult Google a couple of weeks back when you began to speak about American sentences. I won't tell you what I thought it might mean, but when I saw the concept I thought it was really interesting - and quite a challenge, though you seem to manage really well.

apprentice said...

Well done of the 4,500 words!
I'm with you all the way on what you say about writing prose. I can do it, but I much prefer the precision and reduction involved in poetry.

I enjoyed the artichoke poem. Cardoons are one of my favourite big guns in the border.

I too have never heard of American sentences before - someone should tell George ;)

Catherine said...

And isn't it ridiculous to be getting snow and sleet in November? Sigh. It stopped raining here mid afternoon yesterday, and I thought I might go for a walk on the hills after work, but thought better of it when I realised how wild the wind was still.
Let's hope we have a beautiful summer and autumn to follow our wild spring.

chiefbiscuit said...

mapi - Oh I do know that longing for snow ... but less so in spring and as an adult. ;)

endment - I'm pleased to provide pictures to warm up a grey day.

harvey - Hope it's of some inspiration.

Marie - I guess winter's beginning to settle there in Sweden just now huh?
Yes it is an interesting technique to try and pare down what you have to say in just one sentence of a definitive length.(Which is an American sentence and a half!)

apprentice - Precision and reduction sums sit up nicely actually.
So, it's cardoon! Thank you so much for that as I didn't think globe artichoke was quite right ...
Hee Hee - yes let's all tell Bush.

Catherine - I am certainly hoping so - I haven't got out of my winter gear yet!

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'