Saturday, 10 November 2007

Glad to Sad

This morning started with the song of a thrush. For some years around here the thrushes seemed to have disappeared, so it is with some gladness that we welcome them back. In the place where the blackbird used to sing, on top of the blue cypress, the thrush now sings. I wonder if some territorial battle has been won? Both birds have songs to lift the eyes, but the thrush's song has a certain added lilt; something extra.


***
I didn't see an albatross flying today. The wind blew, the people willed them to appear, but nary a one. People were sad and disappointed. There is a field camera fixed on one albatross sitting on its nest incubating its egg while its mate takes its turn out at sea, feeding. But all the albatross did all day (I guess it's a male, as apparently it is the male who does most of the incubating in the early days) was tuck its bill into its feathers, and sleep.

***
Got home to find ABM had cooked tea and hired a dvd ( Bob Dylan's "No Direction Home'.)
A cosy Saturday night in has been planned.
***
ALSO, got home to discover that the latest Joni Mitchell cd I'd ordered from Amazon, had arrived in the mail today. It is fantastic! Ah me ... she is one amazonian woman. I just love her work. This latest cd, called 'Shine', blows me away.

***

But sad news ... Jedi (15 years old)



is not at all well, and is not likely to last much longer. We got a sad phone call from M. It breaks my heart; so I can only guess what M&K are going through saying good-bye to this lovely dog who has become so much part of their lives.
***

16 comments:

becky motew said...

Oh, I am so sorry about Jedi. Losing a pet is so hard. Maybe that's why I don't have one.

Beautiful pix as always, CB.

b

mapiprincesa! said...

Poor Jedi. I am so sorry. Poor everybody. What a heartache.

Be well, Chief.

Endment said...

Joy and sorrow seem to come together in life - I echo the sympathy that is being sent your way for the illness of your long time pet.

Avus said...

Joni Mitchell - I knew you were a woman of taste and discernment!

Mrs. G. said...

Sending Jedi peaceful healing vibes all the way from the Pacific Northwest. What a sweet face.

Joni Mitchell? See I was write.

chiefbiscuit said...

becky - Yes it is part of the reason why I wouldn't have a dog - it's just heartbreaking to part with them at the end. I feel so sad for M&K at the moment - they will miss Jedi sooo much.

mapi - Thanks. It is.

endment - it is very true - life goes on, but often with a border of grief.

avus - I have loved Joni forever!

mrs g - Yes, I am a Joni fan of old - I don't know that I look like her ... but I think you look like Hayley Mills!!!!

Catherine said...

I'm sorry to hear about Jedi. As for the albatrosses, lucky you to work there - so if they don't perform one day, you will be back another day when they do. Being a tourist, you miss out on so much.

chiefbiscuit said...

Catherine - I always feel so bad for the tourists who turn up, only to be bitterly disappointed (and all too often they haven't been given the right info from their booking agents.)

Deb R said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Jedi.

January said...

Sorry about Jedi. Oh, those eyes!

You're in my thoughts tonight.

64 Baker Street said...

I'm sorry to hear about Jedi. It is very difficult to lose a pet. It leaves such an emptiness in the house.

I often wonder if the happiness they bring outweighs the sadness when they go. I think it does, but it doesn't make it any easier.

Jan said...

That is sad news.
What a lovely dog he looks.
I do so understand.

Love that music.
I am listening to it now in my head!
( Even though it's aching after a late night....!)

paris parfait said...

Looking for albatrosses? Doesn't everyone already have a metaphorical one hanging about? Hearing the sad news about Jedi is one reason I'm glad I don't have a pet. Sigh.

Shameless said...

I had to look away when I read this, and not look into those lovely eyes. How sad.

Marie said...

Oh no! As you know my little doggy is 14 and I think about this a lot. They leave such indelible paw prints on your heart. I'm so sorry to read about Jedi.

chiefbiscuit said...

Deb r , Baker Street, Jan, January, Paris Parfait, Shameless, Marie - Sincere thanks to all of you - it helps.

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'