Thursday, 29 November 2007

Designed to Skate Across a Sky


albatross at Taiaroa Head
There’s one now, just lifted off

from tousled grass

near the lighthouse. It is larger


than you think, it is the king

of sea-sky blue. In the sun its wings

shine whiter


than the whites of our eyes

lifted up to see it flow, then bank,

shake its pale, spatula feet.


Its wings over us, as broad

as the width of this boat

- outstretched wings sculptured


driftwood - perfect,

patient, measured,

unflappable glider wings


designed to skate across a sky

of ice-blue - a sky that etches

on to our eyes the albatross,

then reels it in;

winds it back.


You'd be forgiven for thinking I've just written this poem, given that I am now a guide at the Albatross Centre, but in actual fact I wrote it long before going to work there. My friend C from Britain was over for a holiday and we went on a trip on the Monarch. Seeing these birds soaring above us was such an amazing sight it engendered this poem, which ended up in my first book, 'Feeding the Dogs'.

7 comments:

pepektheassassin said...

You did better than I at this NaPoMo thing. You will probably win a PRIZE! I did not manage to do it every day (but I always played catch up). I doubt if that counts.

Anyway. I'll watch for you the next couple of days. I will miss you while you're gone and busy with other things. I will stick around. Blogging is my time away from the business of the world...my rest and recreation.

Good poem! I thought I recognized it.

Shameless said...

Lovely, CB. :-)

mapiprincesa! said...

K was reading about baby albatrosses tonight...fledglings, are they called? So cute...and funny, I thought of you...

apprentice said...

Beautiful words for a fantastic bird

chiefbiscuit said...

pepek - Thanks. I dunno about a PRIZE, but I enjoyed the challenge anyway.

shameless - Ta muchly.

mapi - Yes, fledglings when they fly - before that, chicks.

apprentice - Thank you.

Catherine said...

Beautiful poem. I don't think playing catch up counts, or I would have done it. That's what made it harder than NaPoWriMo, because then I did play catch up some days. On the other hand, writing a blog post is easier than writing a poem (I suspect that's because I have lower standards for a blog post)

susan said...

beautiful cadence and image. I was lifted on the wings of your words.

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'