Thursday, 27 September 2007

Yellow


From Wikipedia.

Kōwhai is the Maori word for yellow, from the colour of the flowers.

The Kowhai is the national flower of New Zealand.

(Note: The 'wh' sound is pronounced 'f'.)


We have three or four kowhai trees around our house. This is a photo of one which we can see through our kitchen window. Its buttery yellow declares that despite the bitterly cold wind and rain, despite the skiff of morning snow on the hills, it is indeed spring.


Only Friday (tomorow) and then Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday to go at the early childhood job and then - albatrosses here I come!

Meanwhile, I am preparing for the two readings I have to do before then ... plus being an m.c. for a third.

6 comments:

Avus said...

Yellow blooms against a blue sky laced with white clouds - a favourite scene of mine. Here in England it is always yellow flowers that are the harbingers of Spring - daffodils, then primroses.

beckymotew said...

Enjoy the spring, CB. You are getting to be a pro at public speaking, eh?

b

Tammy said...

SPRING! *Sigh* Enjoy your yellow, good luck with readings and love those birds. :) XXOO

Jan said...

Hello CB
I have tagged you ( see my blog)
I suppose THIS means Im really getting into my blogging now.
By the way, it's 1 years old on Monday ( Oct 1st!)
Take care and hope all is well, CB.

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

What beautiful flowers... hints of spring peeking around the corners... waiting with a big smile and before you can believe it, she'll have danced right in, twirling in her lovely gown of every color.

Enjoy!
Thanks for posting this; so lovely.

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

chiefbiscuit said...

avus - Yes I remember - and snowdrops and bluebells under the trees in woods. No country does spring better than England!

becky - I'm giving it my best shot! ;)

tammy - Thanks Tammy.

jan - Thanks for the tag. Will do something about it once I get back from my trip south.

scarlett - Hope to have more photos up soon. Maybe tonight ...

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'