Saturday, 14 July 2007

I'm Making A List ... Checking It Twice ...

You know that feeling of waking up, thinking , "Oh no. Work," only to realise that it's Saturday?! Don't you just love it when that happens? Impossible to plan, so when it happens, it is especially sweet. And it happened to me this morning. What joy.

***

I identify very much with what Catherine over at Still Standing On Her Head has to say in her Friday post about the effect work has on the creative part of her life. When I was working shorter hours, I found it easy to fit the writing in. Back then (and I'm only talking two months) I was working around my writing. Now I am writing around my working - a far more daunting prospect.
Time to make like a ship in trouble and list!
Just like January, I'm going to set some writing goals.
1) A poem a week. Poetry Thursday here I come!
2) Start the whole process again of sending out stuff.
3) Instead of trying to remember what jumps out at me as an idea for a poem, work a little harder on my notebook, jotting down ideas on the run.
4) Set aside ten minutes every day to WRITE; without the pen leaving the page.
5) Read one poetry book a week.

Perfect. Five easy goals. And as fate would have it, five fingers on one hand to remember them by.

***

I notice they are all poetry-writing goals.

I also want to write prose, but blogging entries may have to be it for a while.

Writing prose (for me) takes up a whole lot more time than poetry. Poetry I can work on in bits. Prose requires (for me) time to have a clear run. A solid block of time set aside to go from go to whoa seems to be my preferred style when writing prose.

All power to Becky, Clare and Patry who are great models as writers who keep their noses to the grindstone and do the gruelling work required to write a novel.

***
I was thrilled to receive two prizes in the Shameless Lions Writing Circle's competition. Those of us who joined the circle, chose a lion to adopt and then wrote something about that lion. Go on over and take a look. There are some splendid entries over there. Special thanks to Seamus the highly creative, tireless 'Irish Kiwi' who lives in France. He it was who hatched and dispatched the whole thing. And it looks like it is not going to stop here. There are plans afoot to keep the writing going. Yay!

***
Reading: Chris Price's 'Brief Lives' - so far I am enjoying it immensely.

Listening: To the sound of silence - except for the clock ticking, the fire sparking and the click of the keyboard as I type.

Watching: Soon - The NZ All Blacks rugby team play the Springboks.

***
Go the ABs!

***

8 comments:

Catherine said...

'm not really into rugby, but there have been helicopters flying around somewhere near the stadium - I'm guessing it's connected with the game. I'm very impressed with your writing goals. I have about three poems percolating in my head, but I haven't got as far as putting pen to paper. Maybe tomorrow.

Remiman said...

CB,
Congratulations X 2 for the "Shameless Lions" awards. I'm not surprised, and happy so many others share my thoughts about the high quality of your so very readable writing.

I'm going to adopt your/January's writing goal idea. I spend too much time reading and too little with pen on paper.
rel

Tammy said...

CB,
Congrats you! Yay for us at Poetry Thursday! I like prose and look forward to it. :) XXOO

chiefbiscuit said...

catherine - I can give rugby a miss just as easily as watch it - depends on my mood. I just happened to be in a rugby-watching mood last night. Besides it gave me a chance to get on with the jersey I am knitting Son C - I knit while I watch - just like the French women at the guillotines! ;)

rel - Thanks - good luck with those goals.

tammy - Thanks my dear. :)

beckymotew said...

It's incredibly hard to have a job and write. People who don't do it never really understand, but that's okay. You're on your way to conquering the problem with the goals you've set.

Sometimes you have to clench the jaw slightly.

Look at what you've already accomplished. Congrats on the awards.
b

Betty C. said...

I do know what you mean -- I am going to have a new work schedule to write around next year too. I think I'll need to be making some goals myself.

Thanks for your comment - -after a look at your profile, I can see we have a lot in common. I'm not a poet, though. Good luck on your objectives.

Dana said...

I like your goals. Perhaps I need some as well.

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

CONGRATULATIONS on the awards! I am very excited for you!

Love the photos you post, the one of the water through the fence on your coffee at the docks post, and this one of an actual post, are really good.


Scarlett & Viaggiatore

Harbour

Harbour
'how this all harbours light'